20000421: unreliable IDD feed of raob data (Oakland Raobs (stn # 72493) ) (cont.)

>From: Michael Voss <address@hidden>

Mike,

>We have the data here and have been getting it fine since January.

OK, this is comforting to know.

>Once in a
>while some soundings are not in the MCIDAS stream, but they are always there
>in the DDS.

Hmm... this is NOT comforting since McIDAS-XCD is simply decoding data
coming in the IDD (e.g. DDS, PPS, IDS).  The data _should_ be available
in McIDAS in two different ways:

o decoded in MDXX files
o as TEXT data accessible through the RAOBRPT routine

If there are occasions when the Oakland raobs are not showing up in
the upper air MD files, but are accessible in the TEXT data that RAOBRPT
lists, then we need to understand why the data is not being decoded.
If you could keep an eye on the Oakland raobs and let us know when
the TEXT stuff is available when the decoded is not, it will help
pinpoint possible problems with the XCD raob decoder.  Thanks in advance...

>This has been a communication problem on our end...sorry to bother
>you.

No bother.  If this helps identify a problem, then it is very useful.

>I may be a lousy sys-admin, but hey I won the 1999-2000 National Collegiate We
>ather Forecasting Contest..yahoo!

Way cool!  Congradulations!!  BTW, I was the winner of the same contest in
1980 (20 years ago now (gasp) :-()

>Cheers,

Later.

>PS, See you at the summer workshop.