20000411: Problem reading MD file FTPed from Unidata-Wisconsin archive

>From: Mark Anderson <address@hidden>

Mark,

>I am having a problem plotting data that was received from SSEC. The
>data are in the new ADDE format (I think).

Actually, the format for the various data files has not changed.  ADDE
is just the way of accessing the data in the files.

>I can list data using the MDL command and plot the data using the SFCMG
>command.

OK, so the data is OK.

>However, when I use the SFCPLOT command I get an error meassage
>that claims "no data found" though I know the data is there. I must be
>making a simple mistake (I hope).

I don't think so.  If you can plot the data with SFCMG, then you should
be able to plot the data with SFCPLOT.  This smells like a bug of some kind.

>I looked through the email archives
>and could not get an answer that would work. I'm using the ADDE format
>dates.

OK.

>Here are the commands.
>
>MDL 3105 ALL INI SAVE KEYS=T UNIT=F ID=KLNK
>
>list the data fine
>
>SFCMG KLNK DAT=AM/SFCOBS
>
>produces a meteogram with all hours having data

OK.

>SFCPLOT        T OLAY 12 1999339 DAT=AM/SFCOBS

This looks like it should work just fine.

>gives the error "PTDISP: No data found matching search conditions
>                 SFCPLOT - Done

Weird.  I tried pointing to zephyr as the ADDE server for the AM dataset,
but a DSINFO seems to indicate that it is not accessible this way

DATALOC ADD AM ZEPHYR.UNL.EDU

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
AM                           ZEPHYR.UNL.EDU

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done
DSINFO ALL AM
    No Datasets found of Type: IMAGE in Group: AM
    No Datasets found of Type: POINT in Group: AM
    No Datasets found of Type: VPROF in Group: AM
    No Datasets found of Type: GRID  in Group: AM
    No Datasets found of Type: TEXT  in Group: AM
    No Datasets found of Type: NAV   in Group: AM
DSINFO -- done

DATALOC DEL AM
DATALOC -- done

>The redirects and dssserve commands were also set and MDU's allow the
>listing of the programs.
>
>Any ideas why I can not get a surface plot????

Not really.  Can you setup this dataset so that the remote ADDE server
on zephyr recognizes it?  This way I could point at the file and troubleshoot
the problem from here.

The other thing you can/should do is get debug output when trying the plot:

SFCPLOT T OLAY 12 1999339 DAT=AM/SFCOBS DEV=GCC

This turns on DEBUG messages while still trying to plot (the 'G': graphics).
It will allow us to see why the command is failing.

Baring both of the above, you making the file available by FTP would
be of great help.

>Thanks for you help in advance
>Mark

Tom

>From address@hidden  Wed Apr 19 08:42:38 2000
>Subject: Re: 20000412: Problem reading MD file FTPed from UW archive (cont.)

Tom,

Thanks for your help on this project.

We ran MDFIX and everything worked fine once we made sure we had the
right write permissions on the files. It became a little confused
because of the way I had produced the files and had them linked for the
students. Just for your information, MDFIX did not give an error if it
could not write to the file.

Thanks again,

Mark