20000329: Unidata ADDE subserver code for NIDS and GINI imagery

>From: "ORAM, TIM (JSC-ZS)" <address@hidden>

Tim, et. al.,

>I'd be interested in both the NIDS and the GINI software.

I put a compressed tar file named upcaddeserv.tar.Z in the pub/mcidas
directory of anonymous FTP on our FTP server, ftp.unidata.ucar.edu for
you to grab.  Please make sure to FTP the fine in binary mode!

The file includes the following files:

servutil.c   - code shared by Unidata ADDE subservers
servutil.h   - header file shared by Unidata ADDE subservers
Mcbasename.c - McIDAS-XCD routine used by Unidata ADDE subservers
lltora.for   - module extracted from adirserv.fp for use with Unidata ADDE
               subservers

nidsutil.c   - NIDS subserver support routines
nidsutil.h   - NIDS subserver support header file
nidsadir.c   - NIDS ADIR server
nidsaget.c   - NIDS AGET server
NIDS.CFG     - example configuration file for Unidata NIDS ADDE subservers
resolv.nids  - Unidata RESOLV.SRV entries for NIDS data

giniutil.c   - GINI subserver support routines
giniutil.h   - GINI subserver support header file
giniadir.c   - GINI ADIR server
giniaget.c   - GINI AGET server
GINI.CFG     - example configuration file for Unidata GINI ADDE subservers
resolv.gini  - Unidata RESOLV.SRV entries for GINI data

makefile     - Unidata McIDAS makefile:: use to find out how we build routines
               This is NOT a standalone makefile for the above routines!

Please ask if/when the code confuses, and if/when the configuration
examples are not clear enough.

Also, please be advised that the NIDS code will undergo modifications as
we are provided with example zlib compressed NIDS products in NOAAPORT.

>Does your ADDE server support all radial (reflectivity, radial velocity,
>spectrum width) and raster (echo tops, vil, precip, composite reflectivity)
>formatted NIDS products?

Yes.  Different product types are supported by use of the McIDAS AREA
AUX block.  Radial products are rasterized by the code on-the-fly.  I
can provide additional details on this if you need them.

>Thanks,

You are welcome.  Please let me know if you get stuck in using the code.

Also, please be advised that the code, while not marked as such, is
copyrighted by the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
(UCAR).  It may be used and distributed freely, but others receiving
the code must be made aware of its copyrighted nature.

I have a couple of questions:

o are you currently getting NOAAPORT GINI imagery. If so, who is the vendor
  of the ingest system.

o would JSFC be willing/able to make their GINI imagery available through
  ADDE to the Unidata community.  I currently have two sites that will
  make the data available to our community, and I am looking for more :-)

Talk to you later...

Tom Yoksas