20000321: segmentation violation running Sun SC5.0 built GRDDISP

>From: Adam Burnett <address@hidden>

Adam,

>I seem to be getting segmentation violation errors when I run GRDDISP. I
>recompiled grddisp.k with the DEBUG -g option.  However, I still have the
>error.  Any thoughts?

It is not grddisp.pgm that needs to be compiled with the DEBUG=-g flag,
it is mcgget.for.  So far I have run into two McIDAS-X programs that will
produce segmentation violations when compiled with Sun's SC5.0 Fortran
compiler with optimization turned on: GRDDISP and PTLIST.

Here is what you do:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas7.6/src
./mccomp -g -vendor -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -c mcgget.for
ar r libmcidas.a mcgget.o
make grddisp.k
rm ~/bin/grddisp.k
ln grddisp.k ~/bin

The 'mccomp' line has the '-g' flag substituted for the -O flag that would
be set by the DEBUG macro in 'makefile'.  After compiling mcgget.o with
debug turned on, it is put into the McIDAS library, libmcidas.a, with
the 'ar r libmcidas.a ...' line.  A new 'grddisp.k' is created with the
'make grddisp.k' line and then the new executable is linked to the
'mcidas' bin directory.

If you have been having problems with PTLIST, then it needs to be rebuilt
with debugging turned on.  In this case, it is the ptlist.pgm source
file that needs rebuilding:

cd mcidas7.6/src
./mccomp -g -vendor -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -c ptlist.pgm
./mccomp -g -vendor -o ptlist.k main.o ptlist.o -L. -lmcidas
rm ~/bin/ptlist.k
ln ptlist.k ~/bin

>Thanks

No problem.