20000315: McIDAS GINI-to-netCDF conversion (cont.)

>From: David Harper <address@hidden>

Dave,

>I just had a thought.  How does GEMPAK work?

In terms of what?  If you are looking to display GINI imagery, then
you can use GEMPAK/GARP/NMAP.  If you are looking to convert GINI
imagery to netCDF, then GEMPAK/GARP/NMAP will be of no use.

>Evidently the guys over at PDI use
>it to look at GINI files and they have a (nearly) closed system over there.
>There doesn't happen to be something in that we could use without having to
>have a link to the ADDE server?

For display, GEMPAK/etc. is very useful.  There is not need to convert
to netCDF.  I had assumed that your need to convert to netCDF was somehow
related to the Java development work being done by Doug Lindholm, et. al.
at RAP.  If the objective is simply finding something to use that can
display GINI imagery, then there are a number of options including:
GEMPAK, McIDAS, WXP, and, I am sure, many others not available from
Unidata.

Tom