20000308: McIDAS SL command failure in 7.60

>From: Edward Hindman <address@hidden>

Ward,

>Oh faithful McIDAS guru!
>
>I am preparing to begin teaching elementary McIDAS tomorrow afternoon.
>Your recent unprecidented McIDAS support enabled me to meet this deadline.
>Thank you!
>
>Now I'm using my notes from last spring.  I have found the SL command does
>not work as entered last spring.  But, the format is the same as in the
>current HELP SL file.  When I type
>
>                       SL A KLGA
>
>I get the following diagnostic:  Program terminated, segmentation violation
>Could you please tell us how to fix this ASAP.

This turned out to be caused by a parameter statement used to define sizes
of arrays for MD file reads.  The MD file schema was expanded to add
four more parameters, but the SL program source file, sl.pgm, was not
updated to accommodate this.  I changed the needed lines in sl.pgm and
rebuilt and installed the new version.  It should now work as before.

>By the way, the current KLGA surface data is retrieved fine using the
>F-Key menu.

That is because the Fkey menu uses the newer, fully-supported SFCRPT command.
This is what you will need to learn how to use since the SL command is
going away in the next release.

>But, I have to teach the SL command because the students
>will eventually be retrieving and displaying old data.

I understand, but I suggest taking a look at the online help for SFCRPT.
This command is a lot more flexible than SL, and its lifetime will be
longer than SL.

>Sincerely,
>Prof. Ward Hindman
>EAS Dept.