20000209: Y2K LA issue; C-MAN observations (cont.)

>From: Angel Li <address@hidden>

Angel,

>Hope you are well.

Not yet, but thanks for asking.

>The new la.pgm works, thanks.

You are welcome.

>I was aware
>of the retiriment of the non-ADDE commands. I was just waiting
>to learn the new ones until I really, really had to learn them.

I understand the feeling.  ADDE is pretty cool.  To get a small hint
of how the ADDE client-server data access works, try:

<start a McIDAS-X session>
DATALOC ADD RTGINI ADDE.UNIDATA.UCAR.EDU
DSINFO IMAGE RTGINI
IMGLIST RTGINI/GPR4KVIS.ALL
IMGDISP RTGINI/GPR4KVIS LATLON=18 67 EU=IMAGE REFRESH='EG;MAP H'
DATALOC DEL RTGINI

Datasets that one site has can be "published" so that others can use
their data for research, etc.

Just for reference, the ADDE replacement for LA is the IMGLIST command.
The thing is that you will have to understand ADDE datasets in order
to set them up/use them on your system (if one follows Unidata's
"standard" installation/configuration, then these will bet setup during
the installation process).

>Here's another question: is there a way in McIdas to display
>decoded CMAN data?

Yes, C-MAN obs are decoded into ship/buoy point source files.  Since there
is no "macro" command for ship/buoy data, one has to use the PTLIST
command directly.  Here is an example:

PTLIST RTPTSRC/SHIPBUOY PAR=DAY TIME IDA IDB T[F] DIR SPD[KTS] SELECT='TYPE
CMAN'
 DAY[CYD] TIME[HMS]  IDA  IDB      T[F]  DIR[DEG]  SPD[KTS]
--------- --------- ---- ---- --------- --------- ---------
  2000041         0 FFIA 2        38.84       350      15.9
Number of matches found = 1
PTLIST: Done

>I'm having a problem with the weather program
>and I'm getting ready to start looking at the code.

The above assumes that you are running XCD decoders and have not disabled
the ship/buoy decoder.  To see if you have the MDXX files containing these
try running the following:

MDU LIST 1 100                         <- non-ADDE command to LIST MD files

If they exist, then see if your ADDE stuff is setup/setup correctly:

PTLIST RTPTSRC/SHIPBUOY.ALL FORM=FILE

This will have to work for the PTLIST command above to work.

>Thanks for your help,

You're welcome.

Tom