20000207: Query about McIDAS ROUTE.SYS file

>From: James Murakami <address@hidden>

James,

>Our Weather data server recently had hard disk failure.
>It's running again, but I'm having a problem with the
>number of images stored on McIDAS-X.
>
>Only 4 images are stored at any given time. We used to
>store ten images before the server crashed. How do I
>edit the ROUTE.SYS file so that McIDAS stores ten images
>for GOES-8 and GOES-10 imagery?

The file ROUTE.SYS is controlled by the McIDAS-X program ROUTE.  What is
most likely to have happened is that you lost the copy of ROUTE.SYS that
was located in the directory where images are decoded.  The ldm-mcidas
image (AREA) decoder, lwtoa3, will save 4 each of all images in the broadcast
(except MDR images where 6 will be saved) in the absence of the McIDAS
routing table, ROUTE.SYS.

What you can do now is:

o copy the version of ROUTE.SYS that is distributed with Unidata McIDAS-X
  to the directory where you want the AREA files decoded
o make sure that your 'mcidas' user has a REDIRECTion in place so that
  that copy of ROUTE.SYS can be accessed/read/wrote

  You would do this by:

  <login as 'mcidas'>
  <start a McIDAS-X session>
  <from the Command Mode type>
  DMAP ROUTE.SYS
  <compare the location shown for ROUTE.SYS with the directory location
  for the decoded AREA files; if it is different, then type:
  REDIRECT ADD ROUTE.SYS "directory_where_AREA_files_are_decoded

  Next,  verify that you can read the file:

  ROUTE LIST

  At this point, you should see that GOES-East/GOES-West image composites
  (products CI, CV, and CW) are SUSpended.  This will look like:

ROUTE LIST
S Pd         Description         Range       Last      Received  Post Process C
- -- ------------------------- --------- ------------ ---------- ------------ -
s CI GOES-E/W IR Composite       80-89       none        none        none     3
s CV GOES-E/W VIS Composite      90-99       none        none        none     3
s CW GOES-E/W H2O Composite      70-79       none        none        none     3

  If you have the LDM side of the ROUTE PostProcessing setup, then you will
  probably want to RELease these entries so that the composites will once
  again be created.  You do this by:

  ROUTE REL C

  If you had image-topography composites being created previously, you will
  want to turn them back on as well:

s N1 GOES-East IR/TOPO Composi  220-229      none        none        none     3
s N2 GOES-East VIS/TOPO Compos  230-239      none        none        none     3
s N3 GOES-West IR/TOPO Composi  240-249      none        none        none     3
s N4 GOES-West VIS/TOPO Compos  250-259      none        none        none     3
s N5 MDR/TOPO Composite         260-269      none        none        none     3
s N6 Mollweide IR/TOPO Composi  270-279      none        none        none     3
s N7 GOES-E/W IR/TOPO Composit  280-289      none        none        none     3
s N8 GOES-E/W VIS/TOPO Composi  290-299      none        none        none     3

  ROUTE REL N

  If you lost your LDM setup for the McIDAS ROUTE PostProcesses when your
  disk crashed, then you will have additional setup to do.

>Also, I noticed when looking at the "Routing Table Listing",
>there is line for GOES-8 and GOES-9 Full disk imagery.

If you could look at the routing table, and if the routing table that you
were looking at was in the directory in which the AREA files were to be
created, then it most likely means that this file is no longer readable
by the user running the LDM.  If you setup your LDM and McIDAS users to
be in the same group (as is recommended), then you should change the
permissions on ROUTE.SYS to be rwxrwxr--.

>Does that come through on the IDD line?

No, those entries were put in very old versions of the routing table when
there was a chance that there would be full disk images in the broadcast.
Unfortunately, they were never added.

>If so, how can I
>modify our program to collect GOES-8 and GOES-10 full disk
>imagery?

Sorr, there are none in the broadcast.

>Thank you in advance.

Please let me know if you were previously creating the East/West composites
and are no longer able to do so.

Tom Yoksas