20000207: time for errors

>From: "David Delgado" <address@hidden>

David,

>Well, I got much further then I thought without problem. I even installed
>McIDAS until I realized that I needed the LDM-mcidas decoders. So I have
>gone back to compile them and I now get the errors I was expecting. (c:

In order to build the ldm-mcidas decoders from source, you will have
had to install the LDM and netCDF library and header files.  The netCDF
is easy since it comes bundled with McIDAS-X; the LDM you would have
had to install yourself.

If the LDM and netCDF were installed in non-standard locations (i.e.
locations not anticipated by the configure script that setups up the
ldm=mcidas Makefiles), you would have had to define the LD_NETCDF,
LD_LDM, etc. environment variables to point to the locations.  This is
described in the INSTALL document that comes with the ldm-mcidas source
distribution.

I see from the compilation listing you attached that the build failed
when attempting to link against the LDM library, -lldm.  If you do have
the LDM installed, then this means that your environment variable(s)
relating to the LDM are incorrect or that the LDM library is not
readable by the user that is trying to build the ldm-mcidas decoders.
If you find the problem and want to try again, remember to do a 'make
distclean' to wipe out the config.cache file in the src directory.

Alternatively, you could grab a binary distribution of the decoders and
install those.  We make binaries available for a select set of
platforms.  Please check out subdirectories of pub/binary of anonymous
FTP on our FTP server, ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.  It is likely that there
is a binarly ldm-mcidas distribution for the platform you are running
on.

>Please find below the items you want for troubleshooting--I have no clue.
>Note that all letters are being sent because what I interpert to be an error
>may not be. The issue (when you see the make log) is an incorrect path
>refrence and make exiting with a c file error.
>
>A. Linux mcidas.uww.edu 2.2.5-15 #1 Mon Apr 19 23:00:46 EDT 1999 i686
>unknown
>B. Contents of VERSION file: 7.6.2
>C. Absolute paths of compilers
>  C -- /usr/bin/cc
>  Fortran -- /usr/bin/g77
>  C++ -- /usr/bin/c++
>  f2c -- /usr/bin/f2c
>D-H. attached

I don't support the use of 'g77' for the builds of either McIDAS-X or
ldm-mcidas.

>the passwords for mcidas.uww.edu are as follows if you find you need to get
>more information quickly
>
>Otherwise, if you need to contact me I can be reached at this e-mail address
>or at 920-723-2883. I will answer otherwise please leave a voice message.
>
>Thanks

Tom Yoksas