20000202: configuring MCGUI to work with non-Unidata data (cont.)

>From: "Loftus, Maryellen E." <address@hidden>

Maryellen,

>We are almost there...I think!

Super.

>I'm starting small in hopes that if I can get the gui to display one type of
>dataset then I'm essentially home free.

That is exactly the way I would go about things.

>I am working to display the GOES
>East 1km visible data.  Here's where what I've done and what's left to do.
>
>What I've done:
>  as user mcidas:
>   o modified SYSKEY.TAB
>       - change 2146 to 2000  (2000 - 2500 are the AREA numbers for the vis
>         data on our sys)
>       - change 2147 to 2500

Good.  Even though it should not be necessary, I recommend changing 2148 to
some number in the 2000 - 2500 range.

>   o modified LOCAL.NAM
>       - delete all redirect entries :0
>       - add in  AREA2*    /d4/goesEastV

OK.  Just to make sure that we are totally on the same page, I have to ask
if you left LOCAL.NAM in the ~mcidas/data directory?  What about a REDIRECT
for SYSKEY.TAB?  Or, are you going to have users find it by virtue of their
MCPATH?

>  as user mel:
>   o run unidata mcidas
>   o REST REDIRECT LOCAL.NAM
>      - redirect.k LIST shows the redirect for AREA2* was a success

And you can do a DMAP AREA and see the images?

>   o try to use the GUI to display the images in that directory...no success

Did you have the MCGUI running before making the changes to SYSKEY.TAB?  If
so, the MCGUI needs to reread the settings, or you need to EXIT and restart.
To reread the SYSKEY.TAB values, you:

o click on Configure
o select Load System Key Table Values

>What's left to do:
>  Well obviously, I'm missing something since I can't display the image
>using the gui. I can however, display the image using IMGDISP in the cmd
>window by defining a dataset.

MCGUI uses the ALOOP command (Unidata added routine) to display images.
You should verify that you can use ALOOP from the command mode to
see that it works:

ALOOP 2000 2500 1 10 AU 0 0 -2 -2 SF=YES DERLL=3 15 LOOP=YES MAP=YES H

>I wouldn't think the problem would lie in the
>fact that the gui is not ADDE compliant since the redirectt is set up. I'm
>actually surprised we didn't have success with the gui. Hopefully, the error
>is obvious to you and we can get on track.

What was the error message?  You can see the command that was run and
any errors in the MCGUI Command mode window.  The state of this window
(visible, not-visible) is toggled by the keyboard icon at the top of
the MCGUI.  A Button-1 click (left button unless you have changed the
button orientation of your mouse) brings up the McIDAS GUI Console;
a Button-2 click (middle button) brings up the McIDAS Text window (each
click will bring up a new invocation of mctext!); a Button-3 click
will bring up a McIDAS Command Mode GUI (each click will bring up a new
invocation of a McIDAS Command Mode GUI).

>Thanks,

Please keep me informed as to your progress.

Tom