20000129: McIDAS problems (cont.)

>From: Michael Voss <address@hidden>

Mike,

re: try updating string values from Fkey GUI
>I tried this for kicks and got this when I hit update and exit:
>
>bad option "strput": must be altkey, area, exec, pathname, peek, poke, set, sh
> adow, stringtable, or syskey
>    while executing
>"mcidas strput $sname $val"
>    ("foreach" body line 4)
>    invoked from within
>"foreach sname $string_names {
>                       set val [string toupper [set $sname]]
>                       if {$val != $str($sname)} {
>                               mcidas strput $sname $val
>                       }
>               }"
>    (command bound to event)

Oops.  Looks like forgot to upgrade the 'mcidas strput $sname $val' to
the 7.60 syntax of 'mcidas stringtable put $sname $val'.  I just did
this on vortex.

>I know I could just edit the UNIMENU.DEF file to change the values.

Right.

>But, what I have done is revert back to my old fix of manually
>specifying the number of frames in the loop, i.e.:
>
>      GOES-9 Western Infrared
>F  5 "EG 1 25;ALOOP #SYS(2113) #SYS(2114) 1 25 EC 32 130  -2 DWELL=2 7
>+ " MAP=YES H 9002 EU=IMAGE SU=IRTEMP LIMIT=32 BAR=#?BAR NO SF=YES

OK.

>and this seems to work fine, but, when I look more closely at the new
>menu definitions the loop entries look more like:
>
>      GOES-8 Eastern Infrared
>F  2 "EG #?IFRMS;SF #?VFRMS;IMGDISP RTIMAGES/GE-IR ALL=#?IFRMS
>+ " LATLON=32 82 MAG=-2 EU=IMAGE SF=YES REFRESH='MAP H GRA=(GRA);
>+ " BAR GRA=(GRA) ORI=#?BAR NO SU=IRTEMP';
>+ " RUN #?IFRMS #?DWELL CL=Y FILE=LBDR.MCB;TERM L ON

Right.  The ALOOP invocations (which run DF) have been replaced with the ADDE
invocation, IMGDISP.  IMGDISP does not do a number of things that ALOOP did.
In particular, it does:

o not set loop bounds based on which images were actually loaded
o does not set dwell rates for the loop
o does not have a syntax that says to run on looping

In order to do the above three things, I wrote the LBDR (Loop Bound; Dwell
Rate) McBASI script to do that.  The real problem is that if there are
fewer images than are specified by the ?IFRMS string, the loop still gets
set to the full set of frames.  This means tht some of the frames will
not have images loaded in them.

>So, am I risking anything by doing it my way...?

No, not really.  I think you could change the above lines to:

      GOES-8 Eastern Infrared
F  2 "EG 1 25;SF #?VFRMS;IMGDISP RTIMAGES/GE-IR ALL=1 25
+ " LATLON=32 82 MAG=-2 EU=IMAGE SF=YES REFRESH='MAP H GRA=(GRA);
+ " BAR GRA=(GRA) ORI=#?BAR NO SU=IRTEMP';
+ " RUN 1 25 #?DWELL CL=Y FILE=LBDR.MCB;TERM L ON

You could also do something like define a new string like ?IFRMSW to
be '1 25' and then change the invocation to:

      GOES-8 Eastern Infrared
F  2 "EG #?IFRMSW;SF #?VFRMS;IMGDISP RTIMAGES/GE-IR ALL=#?IFRMSW
+ " LATLON=32 82 MAG=-2 EU=IMAGE SF=YES REFRESH='MAP H GRA=(GRA);
+ " BAR GRA=(GRA) ORI=#?BAR NO SU=IRTEMP';
+ " RUN #?IFRMSW #?DWELL CL=Y FILE=LBDR.MCB;TERM L ON

The setting of the string could be done in the menu at the beginning of
the image loop blocks (with a TE command like 'TE ?IFRMSW {1 25}'.  This
line might look like:

M 1000

I "TE ?IFRMSW {1 25}

This way you could change all entries that put up western IR loops
to use ?IFRMSW instead of ?IFRMS.

>I have been playing around with the system today and things are looking
>in good shape. I think I still have some work to do with the model
>data, and hopefuly you can help figure out the SRTABLE deal.

OK.

>have a nice weekend yourself,

I did, thanks.

>(I saw that next message about the dual logins, etc, I'll try one of
>those remedies)

OK.

Tom