20000126: testing mcidas 7.604

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

David,

>Hope you had fun at the AMS conference.

It was interesting at points, but I wouldn't say that it was a lot
of fun.

>I'm trying to install McIdas 7.604.  I'm compiling on a SUN Sparc20
>running Solaris 7 (all recommended patches) and using SparcCompiler
>5.0, and shared memory is set correctly.

We have found bugs in Sun SC5.0 that can cause problems.  These would
come out in routine testing, however.

>I modified the makefile to
>remove the DEBUG option as per the Specific Notes and Warning page.

OK, this gets rid of the SC5.0 problems.

>Everything seemed to compile properly other than what looks to be the
>usual warnings, there were no Errors, but I'm having trouble in the testing
>phase of the build.
>
>As the user mcidas I set  the environment  and fire up the mcidas in
>the $HOME/mcidas7.6/src directory as per the environment variables.

OK, just for review these should look like:

MCDATA=$HOME/mcidas7.6/data
MCPATH=${MCDATA}:$HOME/mcidas7.6/src
MCGUI=$HOME/mcidas7.6/src

What are the settings for these in the session you are running?
Also, what is the setting for PATH?  What I am getting at can really
be answered by the output from:

which mcidas

The one found should be the one in $HOME/mcidas7.6/src.

>The initialization window with the moving bar starts up ok but then it
>just sits there forever.  Doing a `ps -ef|grep mcidas` shows two
>processes,
>"mcimagem -top" and
>"mcenv -k 966 -f 17 mctext -iw -c !@exec  mcimage  -igeometry +630+0 \
>-graphicsColo".

The existence of the two processes mcimagem and mcenv is correct.  'mcimagem'
simply is put up to "entertain" the user while the system comes up (i.e.
keeps people from trying to launch another invocation of McIDAS prematurely).

>I checked the .mcenv file and it  looks ok,

What shell are you using?  If your are using the C shell, the .mcenv file
will not be used.

>I also tried deleting
>.mcidasrc and .mctmp, but that didn't help.  I'm not sure where to go
>from here.
>
>Any suggestions?

Who owns the ~mcidas/.mctmp directory?  If McIDAS doesn't have write permission
in it, you could get a hangup like the one you are reporting.  While
checking read/write permissions, please make sure that there hasn't been
something done like:

o the mcidas account was made some time ago
o the user 'mcidas' was in one group when the account was first made
o the ownership of the ~mcidas and all of its subdirectories was set
  to be 'mcidas' with that group
o the group of the user 'mcidas' was changed, but the ownership of
  ~mcidas and all subdirectories was not changed to reflect the new
  group

>Thanks!!

Please let me know if the above doesn't help.  If it doesn't, it may be
most expedient for you to give me a login as your McIDAS user so that
I can do some experimentation.

Tom