20000121: PTDISP core dumps on HP-UX after plotting a few stations

>From: "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Marianne=20K=F6nig?=" <address@hidden>

Marianne,

Sorry I didn't reply to your message earlier.

>Happy New Year to you!

Same to you.  I hope that your New Year's eve party (if you had one) was as
much fun as ours!

>Hope you are well (how much snow have you got?)

Things are going very well, thank you.  Unfortunately, we have not gotten
hardly any snow.  The ski resorts are hurting since people are not turning
out yet.  I have to believe that this must have something to do with the
fact that I bought a season pass at Winter Park this year.  And I have
yet to go skiing!

>We have a little problem with Mcidas and the MUG help desk cannot help:
>
>When we do a PTDISP we keep getting a 'segmentation fault' error
>message after the command has plotted a few values. This is on Mcidas
>7.6 on HP-UX 10.20, vendor compiler.

Unfortunately, I don't have this environment in Unidata anymore.  We are
using HP-UX 11.0 with the vendor compilers.  I have not seen this error
in my environment, but, then again, I don't test heavily on HPs (the
majority of my sites use Suns).

Perhaps we can narrow down where the failure is coming from a little.
What is the last thing that is printed if you include the DEV=GCC keyword
sequence on the command that fails?  This may give us enough information
that we can figure out which routine has a problem.

>When I first reported this to help
>desk Jay replied we should have a certain patch because the thing was
>running with the same file on their machine.

Was this an operating system or compiler patch?

>So we installed the patch,
>and it still doesn't work (same message).

Hmm...

>Does that sound like something you have ever encountered and where you
>would quickly know a solution?

This problem does not come to mind, but, then again the mind is one of
the first things to go :-)

>Thank you, and regards to everybody I know,

I will send your regards.  In the meantime, I have been trying to locate
a site that is running on HP-UX 10.20 so that I can do some diagnosing.
Would it be possible to get a login on your machine?

>Marianne
>Dr. Marianne König
>EUMETSAT
>Am Kavalleriesand 31
>D-64295 Darmstadt
>phone (49)-6151 - 807-344
>cellular phone 0171 - 3760 725
>email address@hidden

Tom

>From address@hidden  Tue Jan 25 01:41:19 2000

Tom,
Thanks for all your help. We have narrowed down the problem to some wrong array
indexing within ptdisp (somehow this seems to survive in other HP machines but
not in ours). I reported it to helpdesk.
So please don't waste your time in taking further actions!
Sorry about the missing snow. The Alps are loaded with snow, so come to Europe
for skiing.
I am going over Easter, and I really need this holiday!

Marianne