19991228: McIDAS-X 7.60 install question

>From: Michael Voss <address@hidden>

Mike,

>I have the Mcidas-X 7.50 distribution installed on A Solaris 2.6 machine.
>I started the upgrade and got stuck on the "make all" with the follwoing
>error:
>
>vortex:~/mcidas7.6/src>make all
>
>rm -f cal_init; cp cal_init.sh cal_init; chmod 755 cal_init
>rm -f disable_mcidas_gui; cp disable_mcidas_gui.sh disable_mcidas_gui; chmod 7
> 55 disable_mcidas_gui
>rm -f enable_mcidas_gui; cp enable_mcidas_gui.sh enable_mcidas_gui; chmod
>755 enable_mcidas_gui
>rm -f fx; cp fx.sh fx; chmod 755 fx
>rm -f mcidas; cp mcidas.sh mcidas; chmod 755 mcidas
>rm -f mcidasx; cp mcidasx.sh mcidasx; chmod 755 mcidasx
>rm -f mcservsh
>Updating mcservsh...
>chmod 755 mcservsh
>rm -f mcar; cp mcar.sh mcar; chmod 755 mcar
>rm -f mccomp; cp mccomp.sh mccomp; chmod 755 mccomp
>rm -f tclcomp
>sh tclcomp.sh /export/home/mcidas/tcl ../tcl ../tk tclcomp
>tclcomp.sh: Couldn't find Tcl configuration information
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `tclcomp'
>
>I looked in ../tcl/unix and saw tclConfig.sh.in, but I had some
>trouble interpreting the tclcomp.sh script.....so, I thought I should ask
>what's up?

The situation you describe typically happens when the CC environment variable
is not defined correctly.  The step:

sh tclcomp.sh /export/home/mcidas/tcl ../tcl ../tk tclcomp

goes to the ../tcl and then ../tk directories and runs configure to create
the Tcl and Tk makefiles.  It is the makefiles that are not being found
indicating that they were not created.

To find out what is going on, you should:

cd ~mcidas/mcidas7.6/src
rm tclcomp
cd ../tcl/unix
make distclean    (should fail due to lack of makefile)
cd ../../tk/unix
make distclean    (should fail due to lack of makefile)
cd ../../src
<make sure if CC is defined it points to an Ansi C compiler>
<if CC is not defined, make sure that the C compiler that is found first
 by virtue of your PATH is an Ansi C compiler; If you system is a Sun,
 it is likely that your PATH has /usr/ucb/bin before the directory that
 contains the SCx.x C compiler; you need to change this so that the
 SCx.x C compiler directory is before /usr/ucb/bin in your PATH>

If you found that your PATH was incorrect as described above, you should
now be able to restart your make.  If not, you should run the Tcl/Tk
configuration step by hand so that we can see the output from the
configure step:

sh tclconfig /export/home/mcidas/tcl ../tcl ../tk tclcomp

>Thanks,

Please let me know if this doesn't get you going again.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Wed Dec 29 13:26:01 1999

Yes, my dt path (with the dreaded /usr/ucb) had preceded my regular path.

You'll be happy to know that I followed the instructions meticulously
and by gosh the install went smooth (:

Thanks, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Mike