19991215: Frame labeling on top of grid cross sections

>From: "Jennie L. Moody" <address@hidden>

Jennie,

>Hope maybe this is a quick answer McIDAS question.  I am trying to add
>labels to a set of cross sections (generated with XSECTG.

This should be easy to do with the ZA command.

>BTW these are being done with PV and THA from the eta model using the
>GRIDS option, they look pretty cool;
>http://windfall.evsc.virginia.edu/~mcuser/webpage/campaigns/topse/menuXSPVeta.
> html).

Cool!

>I want to use space on the image and was trying to position to a specific
>line/element (PC I option).

The McIDAS-X 7.6 version of ZA allows you to specify the LIN,ELE of the
label.  The operative ZA keyword is POS=:

ZA -- Place annotation on graphics frame at cursor position
  ZA color height justify <keywords> "text
Parameters:
  FULlframe=YES | use the entire frame for output, regardless
                  of the frame's panel configuration; do not use
                  FUL=YES with the global keyword PANEL
           =NO  | limit output to the current panel or the panel
                  specified in the global keyword PAN (def)
  Gra= | graphics frame number (def=current)
  POS=lin ele | TV line and element position to draw text, symbols or
                arrows (def=current cursor position)

I left in the FILlframe= keyword to point out that ZA can be used to annotate
on the entire frame even if the frame has been paneled.

>However, since the cross section draws a small
>map in the upper right corner, any subsequent positioning seems to be
>limited to this small panel.

The nice addition to ZA gets around having to do a PC command to
position the cursor.

Even still, PC could be used to position by LIN,ELE instead of by
station, or lat,lon which _will_ be affected by the navigation of the
map in the panel at the upper right.  For instance, the following
produce the same output:

PC T 300 300
ZA 4 15 C "TEST OF ZA LABEL

ZA 4 15 C POS=300 300 ""TEST OF ZA LABEL

>Anyway to back out and redefine the entire
>image space for after-the-fact annotation??

No, you should not have to do this.

>Thanks,

Later...

Tom

>From address@hidden  Wed Dec 15 18:25:30 1999

re: should be easy with ZA
>Great, I like easy solutions.

re: example cross sections
>Glad you like them, nice trop. folding in these images...

re: POS= addition to ZA command
>Nice.  I didn't think to look at the options on the ZA command itself (!).

Well, now I see what the problem was, I was doing something like this,
or thought I was, but I was trying to position via PC I (I told it
image line and elements, but gave it actual TV line and elements!).  So
it wasn't actually the panelling effect, but the wrong command
(however, if you ask to position to an earth coordinate, it does go to
the map inset.  I guess those are the only navigable coordinates
defined, come to think of it.

Thanks for the quick fix.

Jennie