19991118: Client Routing Table (cont.)

>From: "Jennie L. Moody" <address@hidden>

Jennie,

>Okay, we have just penetrated to the core of what I don't get.
>I don't get mcadde.  I have to go off and read the right
>info.  I printed up all the stuff on LOCDATA.BAT and LSSERVE.BAT
>(during the seminar :-( , but this doesn't help.
>
>I think mcadde is screwed up....it is linked to /home/mcidas/mcidas
>(I thought this was a directory I created erroneously in the
>runtime setup...it has one subdirectory /data, and the
>.mcenv is pointing to this directory for McTABLE READ and
>McTABLE WRITE, but they are not there.
>
>I need to go off and figure this out by reading.

I logged onto windfall before leaving this evening (as mccode) and took
a quick look at ~mcidas/.mcenv.  What I saw was that MCDATA is defined
as /home/mcidas/workdata.  I believe that what you are attempting to do
is copy the setup that I use here at Unidata.  This means that you
should be pointing MCDATA at a directory whose contents do not change
from distribution to distribution.  To me this means that MCDATA should
be defined to be /home/mcidas/uvaworkdata, not /home/mcidas/workdata
since /home/mcidas/workdata is a pointer to a directory that is getting
changed when you cut over from one distribution to the next.  If I had
had (our could find) the login as 'mcidas', I would have changed this
and verified whether or not the ADDE remote server would work or not.

re: redefining the setup for the ADDE remote server when doing cutovers
>Well, since we have defined new things (new aliases etc that our batches
>run off of, it seems that its not trivial to do this everytime, seems
>I could clobber some existing definitions if not careful.

I don't think that you will have to redefine the setup for the ADDE
remote server every time you do an installation.

re: setting up things with LOCDATA.BAT and LSSERVE.BAT
>Well...Kevin Higgins installed this stuff....Kevin doesn't work
>for me anymore, and now its my responsibility to learn it and
>do it right.

OK.  I will be looking for the 'mcidas' login some more tonight.  If I
find it, I will login and change .mcenv and test the ADDE remote server
access.

By the way, I thought that we got all of this done while we were on the
phone before I left for Australia.  Am I dreaming or what?

Tom