19991105: McIDAS-X 7.6 on FreeBSD

>From: Jim Koermer <address@hidden>

Jim,

Sorry I was unable to get back to you on this in a timely manner.  I
have been in Australia since October 30 and have not had connections
good enough to allow me to respond to emails sent to my personal
account.

>McIDAS-X7.6 compiled very easily on our FreeBSD platforms because you
>had incorporated the patches that we had submitted--thanks.

It is good to know that I did not screw this up!

>We did have
>to make two changes to the "netcdf/configure" script to have "FreeBSD"
>listed and supported.

I will pass these along to Steve Emmerson so he can incorporate them
in our netCDF distribution.  I will also update the McIDAS distribution
with the changes.

>Add #1:
>
>FreeBSD)
>  CC=${CC-/usr/bin/cc}
>  CPPFLAGS=${CPPFLAGS--DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran}
>  CFLAGS=${CFLAGS--O}
>  FC=${FC-/usr/bin/f77}
>  FFLAGS=
>  CXX=${CXX-/usr/bin/c++}
>
>Add #2:
>
> FreeBSD*)
>    forts="f77 fort77 g77"
>    ;;
>

>If that the "netcdf" portion has definitions for FreeBSD, it should
>compile "out-of-the-box".

Excellent!

>The McGUI interface is working well, but we're having a problem with the
>F-key menu. It seems like whenever we try any key, we get the following
>message:
>
>    String not found: ?IFRM
>
>From what we can see, everything is similar to what we have on another
>machine with 7.5 where the F-key menu is working. What am I overlooking?

Actually, I am suprised that the MCGUI works when you are having this
problem with the Fkey menu.  The both rely on string table definitions
in the file UNIMENU.DEF, one of which is the definition for ?IFRM.  The
quick and easy thing to do for the account(s) that are not working
correctly is to restore the set of defaults in UNIMENU.DEF to the
user's active string table by:

o copying UNIMENU.DEF from ~mcidas/data to the user's McIDAS working
  directory
o start a McIDAS session in that user's account
o restore the string definitions in UNIMENU.DEF as follows:

  TENTER "UNIMENU.DEF

After doing the above, the user's Fkey menu should work fine.

Again, let me apologize for not being able to get back to you on this
sooner.  In the future, it would be best to send questions like this
directly to support since there are always several of us reading that
mail so we can cover for each other.