19991111: Broken pipes...and it isn't my plumbing

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert-

>To Tom Yoksas,

Tom is out of town until late next week.

>Tom, I am having broken pipes all over the place. No, it isn't my
>plumbing! McIDAS-XCD is giving me tons of errors...mostly
>xcd_run DDS errors, causing broken pipe errors in my ldmd.conf
>file. Any idea what they are being caused by? I deleted the ldm queue
>a few days ago, then re-started the LDM, and that's when the trouble
>started.

Assuming you haven't deleted any programs or links that xcd_run
uses, I've seen this problem when ldmfail runs and there are poor
network connections to both feed sites.  Somehow this affects
the way xcd_run works.  The solution is to shut down and
restart your LDM (after making sure all LDM processes have died).
Another option is to comment out ldmfail from your crontab and
see if the problem goes away (but then you won't have automatic
failover).

>Any clues?

Tom will have to look at this when he gets back because another site
reported a similar problem.  I'll talk to Robb about this also.  If you
are not running ldmfail, let me know as this would indicate that there
is a different problem.  Also, check to see if the broken pipes happen
right after ldmfail is run (usually 0, 20, and 40 mins past the hour).

Don Murray

From:      Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>
Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 16:05:53 -0600

Don,

I found the problem. Actually, I don't know how it happened for sure yet,
but it was a bad entry in pqact. Everything's fine now. Sorry! I just
fixed it literally moments ago when your email came in.