19991026: Fkey menu GRID items and XCD decoding of GRIDded data

>From: Myron Kowalski <address@hidden>

Myron,

>I think I learned enough at this summer's seminar to be dangerous. Before
>I screw something up, I'll ask you. This is what I get for the "Model
>Ouput" in the Fkey menu for F3
>
>String not found: ?MODEL1
>String not found: ?MODEL1

This is telling me that a current copy of UNIMENU.DEF has not been
used to update McIDAS string table values which, in turn, are used
by the Fkey menu.  Also, Since the original release of McIDAS-X 7.60,
I have made several updates (called Addenda) at least one of which
deals with the Unidata Fkey menu.  For additional information on
McIDAS Addenda, you should refer to:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/addenda.html

>I guess this is looking for the gridded NCEP model output, which is
>according to the UNIMENU.DEF looking at ?MODEL1   "RTGRIDS/NGM-UW

Right.  The problem with this is that the NGM-UW and MRF-UW products
that used to be in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream were removed on
July 1.

>which I think I should see since I get this when I run DSINFO
>
>DSINFO GRID  RTGRIDS
>
>        Dataset Names of Type: GRID  in Group: RTGRIDS
>
>Name         NumPos   Content
>------------ ------   --------------------------------------
>ALL            500    Real-Time Grids
>AVN             80    Real-Time AVN Grids
>ECMWF           10    Real-Time ECMWF Grids
>ETA             40    Real-Time ETA Grids
>MDR             10    Real-Time MDR Grids
>MISC            10    Other Real-Time Grids
>MRF            100    Real-Time MRF Grids
>MRF-UW           2    MRF Grids in UW stream
>NGM             40    Real-Time NGM Grids
>NGM-UW           2    NGM Grids in UW stream
>
>Am I on the right track?

Yes, you are on the right track.

>I'm only seeing one GRID file in /app/data/mcidas.

As I recall, we never setup XCD GRID decoding on your machine.  At the
time you were here for the workshop, there was a question of disk space on
catwoman.  Do you have enough disk space to start decoding the model
data that is available through IDD (i.e. do you have at least 1 GB of
free disk available)?  If so, we should turn on the request for model
data in your LDM setup (in ldmd.conf); setup sending of the model data
received to the McIDAS-XCD spool for for decoding (in pqact.conf); and
turn on the GRID decoding in McIDAS (this is done by:

<logging in as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
decinfo.k SET DMGRID A

>If you can take a look, I'd appreciate it.

I will lend a hand if you have the disk resources necessary to proceed.
Also, we better get to this quickly since I will be leaving for Australia
for three weeks on Thursday evening.

Please let me know if you are ready and able to proceed.