19991026: gcc & f2c for solaris intel

>From: alan anderson <address@hidden>

Alan,

>As I proceed with the setup of another terminal, using solaris for intel,
>and using gcc and f2c compilers, I have gcc-2.95 from Sunfreeware.

This is good.

>I note that for a setup earlier this year, I was pointed to unidata's
>ftp site to find the f2c files in the dir /unix/740/fortran/...

That was so that sites could get the f2c distribution from it source.
This is necessary for those platforms that we don't provide binaries for.

>Can I still use these f2c files for building 7.60 ?  Actually I have already
>done this on one machine and had no problems, but I see the web pages for
>mcidasx installs now show Bell Labs as the source.

I say, use what works.  If we start running into problems with old versions
of gcc or f2x, I will update the McIDAS web pages to reflect the necessary
versions for the various platforms.

>Thanks

Talk to you later...

Tom