19991012: atm12 and atm23 in bad shape

>From: Erick Lorenz (address@hidden) <address@hidden>

Sheri,

I dropped in to check on LDM processing on atm23 and atm12 today and
found two systems in bad shape:

o it appears that atm23 stopped ingesting/decoding imagery from the
  Unidata-Wisconsin datastream early on the 11th.  I can't even ping
  this machine right now.

o syslogd is not running on atm12 (and it should be).  When  I logged onto
  atm12 at the end of the day today, I found a couple hundred instances
  of the McIDAS-XCD routine ingetext.k running.  I was unable to kill
  these processes even though I was using 'kill -9'!

I stopped the LDM on atm12 since the number of wayward ingetext.k processes
appeared to be growing.

It seems likely that both atm12 and atm23 need to be rebooted to clear
up their problems.

Tom Yoksas