19991012: Tom & bugfix for mcgui

>From: alan anderson <address@hidden>

Alan,

>I ran into a problem that is likely related to my lack of proficiency
>with unix, so thought i better check with you.
>
>When doing the unpack of the mcupdate.tar.Z,
>
>zcat mcupdate.tar.Z | tar xvf - ../src/upcguiprocs.tcl
>
>I get the following
>
>  tar:  ../src/upcguiprocs.tcl  permission denied
>        file not extracted

I ran into this this morning and redid the compressed tar file.  Try
FTPing mcupdate.tar.Z again and redoing the extraction.

>I am doing this as mcidas, in mcidas' home directory, /home/mcidas
>and mcidas owns the file mcupdate.tar.Z. so I don't understand the lack
>of permission.

The problem was in the tar file itself.

>Also, the  ../src/  in the tar command implies a subdirectory
>src, which does not exist in /home/mcidas.  I created a /src, but this
>did not change the result.

You need to FTP mcupdate.tar.Z to the ~mcidas/mcidas7.6/update directory,
not to ~mcidas.  You should remove the directory ~mcidas/src that you created.

>In your message, I understand the removal of the old upcguiprocs.tcl
> (rm ~/bin/upcguiprocs.tcl), but why do the link to replace
>it?  why not just use the new upcguiprocs.tcl ?

An "install" in McIDAS simply links files from the build directories to
the installation directories.  My instructions about removing the copy
in ~/bin and then doing the link is not needed for Sun Solaris users, but
it is needed for Linux users.  I chose to make the instructions work
for whatever OS the user has:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/mcidas7.5/update
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user>
  <pass>
  cd unix/760/bugfix
  binary
  get mcupdate.tar.Z
  quit
zcat mcupdate.tar.Z | tar xvf - ../src/upcguiprocs.tcl

On your system(s) you should find that the copy of upcguiprocs.tcl in
~mcidas/bin is actually the same as the one in ~mcidas/mcidas7.6/src.
On Linux systems, these would be different files.

Tom