19991007: ADDE performance on Debian Linux (cont.)

>From: Mark Tucker <address@hidden>

Mark,

re:
>> This is starting to sound like a Linux configuration problem, not a
>> McIDAS mcserv problem.  Is there a process limit on your machine that
>> could be causing this?

>It seems that inetd may be the problem.  The default installation of Linux
>(both Debian and RedHat) is to allow 40 connections per minute.  I edited
>the inetd.conf on our server to allow 255 connections/min. and that
>appears to have made a significant difference in the repsonsiveness of
>mcserv.  I'm sure that this value of 255 is not optimal and will probably
>need to be adjusted in the future.

40 connections per minute is very low.  In looking at inetd.conf on our
RedHat 6.0 system, I saw an entry for 'swat' that specified 400 connections
per minute.  I think that this might be a good place to start instead
of 255.

>I haven't yet had a lab full of
>students (15-20) hit mcserv at once since I made this change but it is
>already noticable at lower loads.

Excellent.

>Also, ther haven't been any
>inetd/mcserv failures in the log files since this change either.

Also a very good indication that this was the problem.

>You may
>want to consider documenting this setting for other sites who may be
>serving several clients simultaneously.  Here's what I added to
>inetd.conf:
>
>mcserv  stream  tcp     nowait.255      mcadde
>/usr/local/mcidas/bin/mcservsh  mcservsh -H /usr/local/mcidas
>mccompress      stream  tcp     nowait.255      mcadde
>/usr/local/mcidas/bin/mcservsh  mcservsh -H /usr/local/mcidas

I am updating my Notes and Warnings section for Linux users right now.

>Thanks for your help on this.

Thanks for the update.

Tom