19990930: DMSP data in McIDAS

>From: Edward Hindman <address@hidden>

Ward,

>Thanks for your encouraging word that you have a program that translates
>NOAA/AVHRR Level 1B data into McIDAS AREA files.  The NOAA SAA
>(www.saa.noaa.gov) contains Level 1B data as well as DMSP data.

OK.  I will have to grab one of the images and give it a try.

>I also want to display DMSP images from the SAA.  There is already an
>excellent DMSP browse file (julius.ngdc.noaa.gov:8080/index.html) to
>easily locate suitable images.  Then, one should be abe to download the
>detailed DMSP images from the SAA.  Thus, do you also have a program
>that will translate DMSP files to McIDAS AREA files?

No, not yet.  I am a co-investigator on a NOAA High Performance
Computing and Communications Networking Panel proposal to make the NGDC
DMSP data available to the Unidata community. If this proposal gets funded,
then I will be developming ADDE servers that will run on a machine that
will be dedicated to Unidata's use to:

o run an LDM to "push" data to sites
o run an FTP server so users can "grab" the data
o run a McIDAS ADDE server so users can "browse", "display", or "get" images

>The reason I'm persuing using McIDAS to analyze NOAA and DMSP images is
>that I would like to avoid having to pay $3000 to get our TeraScan software
>upgraded.

I understand.

>We do not need the sophisticated TeraScan for our
>classroom/laboratory work, McIDAS is quite satisfactory.

Kind of a sideways slam against McIDAS, wouldn't you agree :-)?

>Thank you
>Ward Hindman
>CCNY

Tom

>From address@hidden  Fri Oct  1 12:12:29 1999

Sounds like you're doing some great work on getting polar orbiting images
accessable by the Unidata community.  Sorry, I did not mean McIDAS was
not sophisticated.  What I meant to say was McIDAS is easier to use (teach)
than TeraScan, in my experience.

Sincerely,

Ward Hindman