19990930: McIDAS-X at STC

>From: alan anderson <address@hidden>

Alan,

>I am setting up mcidas on another machine, everything has gone quite
>well, through the section 'Testing' as listed on web.  Mcidas works.
>Have also done the install, again, no problems.  This is a new machine
>so no previous version of MCIDAS is involved.

Excellent.

>Now in process of configuring so that this terminal knows where to get
>its data files.  As you may remember, we are ingesting on a machine named
>waldo, and waldo is also the server for our other machines.

Right.

>I have copied the files EXAMPLE.NAM,  DSSERVE.BAT and DATALOC.BAT as
>directed. The one that seems most relevant to me is DATALOC.BAT, now
>present as LOCDATA.BAT, as it indicates that the various data groups
>are to be found at  waldo.stcloudstate.edu.
>I have run the command BATCH "LOCDATA.BAT.

Good.  What is the output from the command:

DATALOC LIST

>When I try and create an image (IR) I get the message: no data available
>yet waldo is ok, so I must have left something out.

When you try to put up an IR image how?  For instance, are you trying to
use the MCGUI, the Fkey menu, or the command line?

>I am puzzled a bit
>about the instructions as this new machine will not be a server, and is
>not an ingester (so the XCD decoders are not needed although when I
>built I did a make all).    The nut of it is that I need a steer to
>finish configuring and did not see (or recognize) the solution
>on the web.

OK.  You should be able to do the following:

DATALOC LIST
IMGLIST RTIMAGES/GE-IR.ALL

The next is a separate/different problem.

>My next step was to move to another of our terminals which is already
>set up.  Look at its files and see how to proceed.  This led to another
>problem as when I tried to start the GUI, I got the following:
>
>MCGUI
>Error in startup script: system key word 1 read failed (-3)
>
>    while executing
>
>"mcidas syskey get $i"
>
>    (procedure "syskeyLoad" line 5)
>
>    invoked from within
>
>"syskeyLoad"
>
>    (file "/home/mcidas/bin/mcgui.k" line 1248)

My GUI (MCGUI) is not ADDEized.  It still reads the System Key Table
to get information about currently ingested data files.  In order
for it to work, one has to:

o mount the disk with McIDAS data files and the copy of SYSKEY.TAB
  that is being updated by decoders
o add a REDIRECTion for SYSKEY.TAB to that directory

>Note now, that this is on a 2nd machine, not the one I am configuring.
>
>So, I have 2 glitches

The second glitch is easy.  Simply do the NFS mount and make sure that
you have a valid set of REDIRECTions (e.g. edit LOCAL.NAM and set the
directories to match the NFS mounted data disk).

>How about a steer?

The first problem requires a bit more information. The ouput from the
commands that I requested above will help me to sort out what is going
on.

(groan on the paws :-)

Tom