19990929: XCD needed on non-ingesting machine?

>From: Jim Heimbach <address@hidden>

Jim,

>     Now that my server is squared away with McIDAS-X, XCD and ADDE, I
>am upgrading things on a LINUX box to 7.6.  The LINUX box is nfs-ed
>to the server.  My question is, must I install XCD on the LINUX box?

No.

>All XCD does is ingest and decode, right?

Right you are.

>and that is being done on the server.

Yup.

>     The question arises because the ADDE installation is
>complaining about the XCDDATA string not being defined.

You have to define XCDDATA because it is referenced in DSSERVE.BAT.
This is the directory in which the XCD decoder produced data files
exist.  SSEC originally called this variable MCDATA, but I changed
it to XCDDATA because I thought that it might be confusing to my
users who should remember that the Unix environment variable MCDATA
should point to his/her McIDAS-X working directory.

>     Thanks -- Jim H.

So, you are retiring?  Good for you!

Tom