19990923: Colors, McIDAS, and Linux

>From: Erick Lorenz (address@hidden) <address@hidden>

Erick,

>I got my Linux expert to make a simpler form of X-windows the default.
>Now it runs in 8-bit color without problems.

OK.  I just loaded 7.60 on a Dell Inspiron 7000 portable running
RedHat 6.0 Linux with 24-bit color and everything worked correctly
including the Fkey menu!  Now I am puzzled why the Fkey menu didn't
work on your machine.

>I was starting to install McIDAS-X and XCD on ATM23, the SGI and I
>reviewed the requirements which say use Irix 6.4 or 6.5.

The supported systems list reflects what systems we have available to
build and test on.  Since we no longer have an IRIX 5.3 machine, I
can't put 5.3 on the list.  This does not mean that things won't work.
It does mean that I can't guarantee that they will, and that I can't
fix problems if they come up.

>I remember discussing this and mentioning that I wasn't in a position
>to upgrade Irix right now but I also remember agreeing with you that
>I needed to get McIDAS 7.6 on real soon for the products that 7.4
>no longer supports.

The need to upgrade is related to the Y2K modifications in the ldm-mcidas
decoders, and the need for you to build the ldm-mcidas decoders since
I do not have an IRIX 5.3 machine on which I can produce them.

>I can't get users to agree to allocate the main Linux box to fulltime
>Linux to I can't put it on there.

OK.

>Did I miss something in the conversation?

No.  Did you try building on the 5.3 machine, or did you stop when you
saw that 5.3 wasn't on the list of supported platforms?  If you
stopped, then I say that you should give the build a try.  If it
failed, I would like to know where it failed so I can help you.  I
feel that the code should build fine on 5.3, but...

>If I can't use the Irix 5.3 system I do have an Alpha running OSF1/4.0F
>Which doesn't get much use.  Would that be a good candidate?

Since I do have a DEC Alpha running OSF/1 4.0E, I can support the
platform.  In fact, I just helped Utah State get 7.60 running on a DEC
Alpha running OSF/1 4.0D.  It is on this machine that I found a bug in
the XCD GRID decoder that was fixed in the September 22 Addendum.

>Thanks
>Erick Lorenz, U C Davis

Tom