19990909: Error starting "mcidas config"

>From: Clint Rowe <address@hidden>

Clint,

>I'm getting the following error when trying to start the McIDAS 7.6 GUI.
>Starting McIDAS without config, or specifying the F-key from config seems
>to work fine.  Any ideas?  (We had some system problems and had to reinstall
>McIDAS-X 7.60, we're now running Solaris 7)
>
>Error in startup script: system key word 1 read failed (-1)
>    while executing
>"mcidas syskey get $i"
>    (procedure "syskeyLoad" line 5)
>    invoked from within
>"syskeyLoad"
>    (file "/home/mcidas/bin/mcgui.k" line 1335)

It looks to me like the strings that should be defined in the string
table do not exist.  Try the following:

o <start a McIDAS-X session>
o restore the defaults in the 7.6 UNIMENU.DEF file:

  TENTER "UNIMENU.DEF

  To do this, you would have to have made sure that you would access
  the 7.60 version of UNIMENU.DEF.  You can do this by:

  o copying UNIMENU.DEF from the installation data directory (~mcidas/data)
  o or by making sure that the copy of UNIMENU.DEF that you are accessing
    is the 7.60 one:

    DMAP UNIMENU.DEF

  If you already have a UNIMENU.DEF in your McIDAS working directory
  (~mcidas/workdata for the user 'mcidas' and ~user/mcidas/data for
  the user named 'user'), then you need to either update it with the
  7.60 one, or delete it.

Please let me know if this doesn't solve your problem.

Tom

>From address@hidden  Thu Sep  9 18:46:40 1999

>Didn't do any good.  I have the v7.6 UNIMENU.DEF in my mcidas/data/directory
>and got the same error after executing the TENTER command, exiting McIDAS and
>running mcidas config.

Sorry, I was not paying enough attention to the error message you
sent before.  The problem is not in the string table, but, rather, in
the System Key Table.  What you need to do is check which SYSKEY.TAB
file is being accessed:

DMAP SYSKEY.TAB

and make sure that you can read the file (i.e. it exists and is not
corrupt):

SYSVAL LIST 1 900
SYSVAL LIST 2101 2172
SYSVAL LIST 2301 2360

Another site had the same problem as you when their SYSKEY.TAB file
got corrupted.  If the listing from any of the above SYSVAL commands
returns back all MISSing values (-2139062144), it is most likely that
SYSKEY.TAB is corrupted.  If this is the case, you need to:

o find out which SYSKEY.TAB is being accessed:

  DMAP SYSKEY.TAB

o if this is the one that is being updated by the ldm-mcidas and XCD
  decoders, it needs to be fixed.  The only way to fix the file is
  to create a new one:

  BATCH "DROUTE.BAT

I am assuming in the above that you are doing this as the user 'mcidas';
true?  If it is some other user, and if the 'mcidas' environment is
OK (i.e. SYSKEY.TAB is not damaged and you can bring up the Unidata
GUI), then the problem is probably one of a read permission on SYSKEY.TAB.

First, let's find out if the problem is a bad SYSKEY.TAB file.

Sorry for getting you sidetracked with STRTABLE stuff...

Tom

>From address@hidden  Thu Sep  9 19:07:49 1999

Silly me!  I thought that "make install.mcx" would take care of everything...

I'll go back and follow directions to make sure that I've got
everything installed before I bug you any more!

Right now, I'll just spend the next 5 or 10 minutes wiping the egg off
my face.

Have a good evening!

Clint