19990909: more on SC5.0 Re: 19990908: question about TITLE='' in GRDDISP

>From: weather <address@hidden>

Robert,

>At least I get a blank title now,  so now I must not be
>passing the variable correctly.  Thanks for the help,
>one of these days I will get escaping in shells down.

OK.

>After I remade all of McIDAS-X, grddisp.k and grdcopy.k did
>not work again, so I thought back to what I actually did
>and then duplicated it..now they work.

I was just going to write you about your success with SC5.0 because
we have all of the patches installed and we still get failures
on our system.

>Note this is probably not correct, but it worked for some reason:
>
>I naively tried this this morning and it produced a new
>mcgget.o.
>
>/export/home/mcidas/mcidas7.6/src% f77 mcgget.for
>mcgget.for:
>        mcgget:
>       entry    mcgridf:
>       entry    mcgridc:
>Undefined                       first referenced
> symbol                             in file
>m0cxfin_                            mcgget.o
>movcw_                              mcgget.o
>swbyt4_                             mcgget.o
>mcstrtoint_                         mcgget.o
>m0flpgdr_                           mcgget.o
>clit_                               mcgget.o
>m0fndkey_                           mcgget.o
>m0cxreq_                            mcgget.o
>m0gfree_                            mcgget.o
>m0cxread_                           mcgget.o
>m0cxerms_                           mcgget.o
>m0gsave_                            mcgget.o
>mcucvtr_                            mcgget.o
>ddest_                              mcgget.o
>nchars_                             mcgget.o
>cfu_                                mcgget.o
>len_trim_                           mcgget.o
>edest_                              mcgget.o
>bsquez_                             mcgget.o
>computevar_                         mcgget.o
>main                                /opt/SUNWspro/SC5.0/lib/crt1.o
>m0split_                            mcgget.o
>mciydtocyd_                         mcgget.o
>lit_                                mcgget.o
>ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out

The 'f77 mccget.for' invocation says to compile and link mccget.for
producing an executable named a.out.  For reference, what you wanted
to do was either of the following:

-- McIDAS method --

./mccomp -vendor -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -c mcgget.for

-- non-McIDAS method --

ln mcgget.for mcgget.f
f77 -c mcgget.for
rm mcgget.f

If you notice, both of these examples do not use optimization.  After
installing the SC5.0 Fortran patches and rebuilding McIDAS on a Solaris
SPARC 5.7 system, I found that I was back to the mode of having to compile
mcgget.for with optimization turned off.  I will have to dust off the
code example that I put together that can demonstrate the problem to
Sun and send it off.  Like I said previously, this sucks!

>Then later I did a make grdcopy.k and grddisp.k using the same
>mccget.o from the morning.  I just duplicated those steps
>and grddisp.k and grdcopy.k work at least as far as I can tell.

The soulution, as you can see, is the old compile mcgget.for with
optimiaztion turned off!

Tom