19990909: how is LOCAL.NAM different from LWPATH.NAM

>From: Jim Heimbach <address@hidden>

Jim,

>     Me again.  Appreciate your detailed return on ADDE setup.
>I'm showing a little success on this end with the ADDE setup but
>there seems to be a little ambiguity I need to figure out.
>basically is there a difference between,
>          LWPATH.NAM and LOCAL.NAM?
>They appear to be used interchangeably in the on-line instructions.

Yes, they are different and have different uses (even though they appear
to be the same).  LWPATH.NAM is a file created/maintained/updated by
McIDAS.  Every user will have a LWPATH.NAM in his/her McIDAS working
directory.  LOCAL.NAM is a template that you create from EXAMPLE.NAM
and use to setup users' LWPATH.NAM files.  The other difference between
LOCAL.NAM and LWPATH.NAM is that LWPATH.NAM entries get sorted by the
order in which the files get searched.  The order of entries in LOCAL.NAM
is not specified.

So, what is needed is:

o logon as mcidas
o cd data
o cp EXAMPLE.NAM LOCAL.NAM
o <edit LOCAL.NAM and set the directories to match your system setup>
o cd ~mcidas/workdata
o start a McIDAS-X session
o restore the REDIRECTions defined in LOCAL.NAM:

  REDIRECT REST LOCAL.NAM

  This step creates/updates ~mcidas/workdata/LWPATH.NAM

Have each user:

o cd to their McIDAS working directory.  For the user 'joe', this would
  be ~joe/mcidas/data
o start a McIDAS session
o restore the REDIRECTions defined in LOCAL.NAM:

  REDIRECT REST LOCAL.NAM

  This step creates/updates ~joe/mcidas/data/LWPATH.NAM

Whatever you do, do _NOT_ copy LOCAL.NAM to LWPATH.NAM.  LOCAL.NAM is
not sorted as it needs to be!!!

Tom