19990909: GRDDISP not working under McIDAS-7.6 compiled with SC5.0 (cont.)

>From: weather <address@hidden>

Robert,

>I will get it and rebuild it.

I just stuck the object module out there in unix/760/fortran/SC5.0.

>It does suck, especially after we paid $395 for the compilers.

Exactly!  This will be the third problem that I have found in Sun Fortran
compilers.

>It is a little surprising that
>the problems don't affect the x86 version.

The code is different.

>The SC5.0 compiler
>also seems to me to be much slower than SC4.2.

I had the exact same observation.

>Our
>Ultrasparc in general seems to be speedier than our Intel
>machine, but it takes about twice as long to compile McIDAS.

Wow!  Twice as long!!  We don't see this kind of time increase here
at Unidata.

While we are chatting about machines, let me tell you what I did on the
machine I use at home:

The machine is one that I put together from parts:

FIC VA503+ motherboard:  $70
Intel Pentium 200 Mhz:   $200   (purchased some time ago, that is why it was
                                 so expensive; I was overclocking to 233 Mhz)
128 MB SDRAM             $140   (I just saw 2x64 MB PC 100 RAM for $39.99!)
PCI 2 MB video:          ???    (old)
40x CDROM                $40
rest in old system

I bought a 400 Mhz AMD K6-2 for $43 and an Intel 740 based 2X AGP video
card with 8 MB of RAM for $39.  A couple of weeks ago I got a 56 K ISA
modem for $42.50.

I put the modem and processor in my machine and changed a couple of
motherboard jumpers and rebooted.  I now have a fast 400 Mhz machine
that can access data though the modem nicely.  The build time for
McIDAS-X, -XCD (current release) on RedHat 5.2 Linux dropped from 46:40
to 27:20.

I got pretty excited about how cheap parts are getting, so I sat down
with Sunday paper adds (e.g. COMPUSA, BestBuy, pricewatch.com) and
priced out boxes based on AMD K6-2 processors.  I figure that I can put
together a 400 Mhz machine (no monitor) for about $425.  Pretty cheap!

I just thought that you would be interested...

Tom