19990903: non-ADDE access to Y2K data files

>From: Daniel J Leathers <address@hidden>

Dan,

>We have installed the newest versions of McIdas and the newest version of
>the decoder software and are having a problem with the execution of some
>basic commands.  We can access area files (for satellite images) as
>always and the MG (meteogram) command also works.  However, all the basic
>plotting commands such as SP, SL, SC, UC, UP, etc. come back with a
>missing MDX file, even though the MDX files are where they are supposed to
>be....  Could you offer any advice?

The problem is that the older, non-ADDE commands need to have more
information specified on their command line in order to correctly access
data in the Y2K capable MD files being created by current versions
(i.e. version 7.5 or 7.6) of McIDAS-XCD.

Try specifying the DAY= keyword using CCYYDDD format (e.g. 1999246)
when trying to run these commands.  Better yet, start using the ADDE
substitute commands, since they are Y2K capable already.

The list of files that will be sunset in the next distribution of McIDAS
(McIDAS-X 7.7 currently slated for release in the summer of 2000) contains
equivalent ADDE functions.  You can look through this list at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/sunset.html

As a example, there are the substitutes for the commands you mention:

old command      ADDE substitute
----------------+---------------
SC               SFCCON
SL               SFCLIST
SP               SFCPLOT
UC               RAOBCON
UP               RAOBPLOT

Again, the old commands are scheduled to be removed from the McIDAS
distribution next summer.

>Thanks in advance!

You are welcome.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Tue Sep  7 07:17:52 1999

Good Morning Tom:

Thanks for your quick answer to our questions.  We'll give your
suggestions a try!  Thanks again!

Dan Leathers

Daniel J. Leathers
Center for Climatic Research