19990830: Paths for McIDAS-X

>From: Jim Heimbach <address@hidden>

Jim,

>     I've installed McIDAS 7.6, but I think my paths are a little
>messed up.  I have a couple of questions after reading about the
>setup on the web instructions.  For example, UNIDATA.MNU should be
>in /home/mcidas/workdata, but somehow it ended up in
>/home/mcidas/data.

UNIDATA.MNU should stay in /home/mcidas/data.  UNIMENU.DEF can be
copied to each user's McIDAS working directory (which will be
/home/mcidas/workdata for the user 'mcidas') since it can be
customized (by editing) on a per-user basis.

>     Also, in the past ldm has been putting the McIDAS data into
>a separate hard drive called /data, in the directory
>/data/mcidas/data.  For the standard installation shown in the
>web instructions, are these mcidas data going into /home/mcidas/workdata?

My recommendation is that the actual data files be put into their
own directory.  This corresponds to the /data/mcidas/data directory
(or /data/mcidas to make live simplier) on your system.  The
/home/mcidas/workdata directory is where configuration files from
the McIDAS installation go.  The idea here is to keep data files
in one location and configuration and ancillary data files (e.g.
map databases) in other directories.

>     Anyway, below are my current setenv's in /home/mcidas/.cshrc:

>setenv MCDATA /home/mcidas/workdata
>setenv MCPATH ${MCDATA}:/data/mcids/data:/home/mcidas/help
>setenv MCGUI /home/mcidas/bin
>setenv MCTABLE_READ "${MCDATA}/MCTABLE.TXT;/data/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
>setenv MCTABLE_WRITE "/data/mcidas/data/ADDESITE.TXT"
>setenv XCD_disp_file $MCDATA/DECOSTAT.DAT
>setenv PATH ${MCGUI}:$PATH

Looks good.

>     Note that I don't do
>          if (! ${?MCPATH}) then
>in front of the above.  It got in the way when I was testing out
>setup.

OK, but I would add that once you have things worked out.

>     Then in /home/mcidas/.mcenv, I have,

>umask 002
>MCDATA=/home/mcidas/workdata
>MCPATH=${MCDATA}:/data/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help
>MCGUI=/home/mcidas/bin
>MCTABLE_READ="/home/mcidas/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT"
>MCTABLE_WRITE="/home/mcidas/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT"
>PATH=${MCGUI}:$PATH
>export MCDATA MCPATH MCGUI MCTABLE_READ MCTABLE_WRITE PATH
>cd $MCDATA

Excellent.

>     Again, feel free to prowl around on vortex.atms.unca.edu.
>Many thanks          -- Jim H.

It looks like things are setup.  Are things not working?

Tom