19990827: Getting Updated Feeds to work

>From: McIDAS <address@hidden>

Karli,

>Hi guys! It's me again, and sorry to bother you with another silly
>question.  Now, if I recall correctly, from the end of June, and the
>beginning of July, some feeds were either not available or made
>available through other methods.

Right.  On July 1, we discontinued the non-image products from the
Unidata-Wisconsin (LDM feed type MCIDAS) datastream.

>We'd upgraded our version of mcidas
>and got ADDE installed, however some feeds have stopped coming in more
>or less around that time (no guys, this doesn't have anything to do with
>my recent series of distress calls you've so graciously complied to,
>other than the fact that they distracted me from this problem) namely:
>
>-- MA Surface MD data stopped in 99182
>NF Global Initialization Gri &
>NG Early Domestic Products also stopped in 99182
>and US Undecoded SAO Data (our last feed also dates ... 99182)

This is when the non-image products stopped being sent in the Unidata-Wisconsin
datastream.  Julian day 99182 is July 1 (you can use the McIDAS routine
DATELIST to do these sorts of interpretations).

>so all I'd like to know is, how do I start getting those data sets
>again, or if some of them have been discontinued.

The replacements files for these are created by the XCD decoders.  The
advantage of using XCD is that instead of having surface and upper air
data for only North America (and occasionally not including down to
Puerto Rico), you get global coverage.  The same is true for the GRIDs.
All of the model output in NOAAPORT is being carried by the Unidata IDD
and is decodable by XCD decoders into McIDAS GRID products.  Decoding
all fo the data requires a substantial amount of disk space, so be careful
to check disk space before turning this on AND make sure that you are
scouring the files correctly (using mcscour.sh as per the web based
McIDAS installation/configuration instructions.

So, if you havn't setup XCD (I thought that you had), you need to do so
now.

>On the same lines, I have another problem with the
>UW GOES-8 North America H2O dataset. We just noticed it was available
>after installing v7.5 and found the instructions on how to add them to
>the routing table, which I did by calling:
>ROUTE ADD UY AREA 110 119 CC=3 SYS=2152 2153 2154 "Mollweide Composite
>H2O
>ROUTE REL UY

The Mollweide Composite imagery is not the same as the GOES-8 (now GOES-East)
North America data.  The Mollweide Composite is sent in the Unidata-Wisconsin
datastream as product UY as you have noted.  The GOES-8 North America H2O
data comes in the product UW.

>When I check in the routing table, the information seems to arrive fine
>and up to date.  However when I go to the MENU and go to the most recent
>Global H20, I get a 'no data avaialble' error message on the image
>window. Please note that the command being executed:
>
>ALOOP 110 119 1 10 EC 0 0 1 1 EU=IMAGE SU=H2OTEMP SF=YES DWELL=3 10
>MAP=YES SAT X X X X BAR=VER NO X X X X X X LIMITS=36 ID=

Hmm...  You say that the routing table indicates that you are receiving
the data.  If you are and they are being decoded, then you should be able
do check for their existence by doing things like:

DMAP AREA011
LA 110 119
DF 110 1

>is the exactly the one provided in the McIDAS 7.5 package and calls the
>appropriate image range etc.

We need to find out if the images are being properly decoded.  If they
are, we then need to find out why the ALOOP command being run by the
7.5 Fkey menu is not displaying them.  The first steps are those listed
above.  Please run the commands from a McIDAS-X session and report the
output back so I can take a look.

Tom Yoksas