19990827: Redundant files

Tom;

I discovered something on vortex which may at least partially
explain some of my problems.  You will recall that I am putting
data into data/ldm/data and /data/mcidas/data.  When I do the
following,

          touch /data/ldm/data/test   or
          touch /data/mcidas/data/test

The file test shows up as expected above, but a redundant copy is
created in,

          /home/ldm/data/test   or
          /home/mcidas/data/test

When I delete one of the test's, the other disappears.  I found
this first with ldm's ldm.pq file being redundant with both copies
being updated as data comes in and pqexpire does its thing.

There are three partitioned hard drives of interest to the
users:
          /data
          /home     the usual for many accounts on vortex.
          /home2    another "home" for a bunch of users brought
                    over from an old server now out of service
                    which had the name vortex.  It was easier to
                    rename the new server, an ULTRA-2, from
                    "typhoon" to "vortex."

Mcidas and ldm have setups on both /home and /home2, but to the
best of my knowledge the /home2 files are not accessed by either.

Would you have any idea why UNIX makes redundant file systems?
Feel free to poke around on vortex.
          -- Jim H.

>From address@hidden  Fri Aug 27 11:52:35 1999

This is an oops with the hope that you haven't spent any time.
I see why there was the redundant file creating:  I had a link set
up for the ldm and mcidas accounts.

I've been at this too long.  Sorry.
          -- Jim H.