19990820: McIDAS-X 7.60 installation/startup

>From: Anthony Rockwood - MSCD Meteorology <address@hidden>

Tony,

>1.  There is a run-away process on wxbox called 'mcwish'.  I don't know
>what this is but it's eating up 100% of the cpu.  I'm going to work on
>Gempak today and this will probably get in the way.

mcwish is the McIDAS-enhnaced Tcl/Tk windowing shell.  Why it is run-away
is unknown to me.

>2.  When I run MCMENU UNIDATA.MNU to bring up the menu, I get 'process is
>not a visual" (or something close to that).  I'd like to have the menu
>start when I run McIDAS.  Can you tell me how to do this?

Getting the memu to start automatically is done through an entry in
the user's .mcidasrc file (located in the home directory).  There is
already an entry to automatically bring up the Unidata Fkey menu
that is commented out.  All you need to do is uncomment the entry.
Find the section that looks like:

# By default, the Unidata Function Key Menu interface is not started.
#
# If you want to start the Unidata Function Key Menu interface automatically
# uncomment the -c line below.

# -c 'MCMENU UNIDATA.MNU'

and change it to:

# By default, the Unidata Function Key Menu interface is not started.
#
# If you want to start the Unidata Function Key Menu interface automatically
# uncomment the -c line below.

-c 'MCMENU UNIDATA.MNU'

The Fkey menu uses Tcl/Tk GUI components, so there will be a problem IF there
is some sort of real problem with mcwish.

>Many thanks,

Later...

Tom