19990813: Back to Start.

>From: Jim Heimbach <address@hidden>

Jim,

>     I'm back from my summer life and am trying to get
>things straightened up McIDAS-wise.  Last week we
>installed SOLARIS 7 on our server (ULTRA-2), and that pretty
>much finished what McIDAS we still had running.  So I am
>pondering how I will revamp things.
>     I was intrigued with your mentioning that UNIDATA is
>putting together a JAVA system which would access
>the text and graphics that McIDAS does.  Is this a
>possibility in the future?

The future, yes.  Now, no.

>     If not, I assume I should have the following
>installed:
>
>          ldm   presently running pretty well.  Am using
>                5.0.5.  This is also picking up DD+
>                for our locally-developed textual data
>                system

The current release of the LDM is now 5.0.8.

>          McIDAS Presently have 7.1 installed, but ...

The current release of McIDAS-X is now 7.60 (official release on August 10).

>          ldm-mcidas  Presently have 7.1.7 installed.  It
>                      is trying to do its thing on SOLARIS
>                      7, but am getting the broken pipe thing.

The current release of ldm-mcidas is 7.6.0 (August 10).

>          McIDAS-XCD  Haven't messed with this yet.

XCD is part of McIDAS-X.

>     Anything else I should start reading up on?

I would strongly consider upgrading to McIDAS-X, -XCD 7.60, ldm-mcidas
to 7.6.0, and your LDM to 5.0.8 (binaries are available for ldm-mcidas
and the LDM).  The Y2K changes in McIDAS-X,-XCD are used by the current
release of ldm-mcidas, so an upgrade of those goes hand-in-hand.

Tom