19997022: McIdas-xcd for os/2 (cont.)

>From: "Earle A. Ripley" <address@hidden>

Earle,

>My MD files are now coming in!

Finally!  Did this start happening after a reboot, or are things even
more mysterious?

>Although I can read them with MDL I haven't been able to do anything
>with MG or SL yet. Is there anything that has changed that I should know
>about?

The change here is in the Y2K modifications to the schema for the surface
and other point sourc files.

In 7.1, the DAY was specified in the MD file as YYDDD.  The "unit" for
this in the file was SYD.  Now, the DAY is specified as CCYYDDD; the
unit for this is CYD.  When running older, non-Y2K capable applications
like MG and SL, one has to explicitly specify the DAY on the command line.
For example:

MG KDEN DAY=1999203

The reason for this is that the DAY key used in the program will default
to YYDDD and the request will not match what is in the MD file.

What you should be doing (I know that you just want to keep things working
for another year, but Y2K mods are effective now) is switching to use
of the newer, ADDE applications.

For instance, try using the ADDE meteorogram plotter instead of MG:

SFCMG KDEN

The ADDE replacement for SL (and UL) is SFCRPT (RAOBRPT).

The table of older commands which are will be dropped from McIDAS and
their replacements is a good place to get an idea of commands that you
should be using:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcos2

Go to the Sunset Schedule link in the frame on the left side of the page.

Tom

>From address@hidden  Thu Jul 22 16:30:25 1999

Thanks a lot.

The final problem, I think, was a file (masterid.dat ?) that was in the
wrong directory.