19990722: compiling McIDAS-XRD code on DEC

>From: "Alliss, Randall J." <address@hidden>

Randy,

>I successfully compiled McIDAS76 on the Dec ALPHA. Thanks.

I heard from Denise that you were eventually successful.  What I did not
hear was whether or not you stuck with gcc/f2c or switched to the DEC
compilers.  I think that your error below shows that you stuck with
gcc/f2c

>I am trying to compile and link some code written by Dave Santek but get the
>following errors:
>
>compile remap2.pgm (compiles ok)
>compile cloudp.c   (compiles ok)
>
>Try to link using command:
>
>mccomp -0 remap2.k remap2.o -L/usr/users/mcidas/lib -lmcidas
>/usr/users/mcidas/mcidas7.6/src/main.o cloudp.o
>
>i get the following error message:
>
>/usr/users/mcidas/mcidas7.6/src/main.o: main Multiply Defined
>Unresolved:
>MAIN__
>fort: Severe: Failed while trying to Link

The unresolved MAIN__ error when using gcc/f2c is typically caused by
linking against the shared f2c library (libf2c.so) instead of the
static one (libf2c.a).  Our experience on Linux is that one must always
link against the static f2c library.  My "solution" (in quotes since
it is more or less a hack) was to tell people to make a link from libf2c.a
in its installation directory (where libf2c.so typically is found) to
a different directory and then to put the directory containing the link
at the head of LD_LIBRARY_PATHl

>Dave thought you might be of some help here.

If I missed the mark above, the question is what compilation environment
you are using (i.e. native vs gcc/f2c)?

>thanks,

No problem.

Tom