19990701: user accounts on solaris for intel

>From: alan anderson <address@hidden>

Alan,

>My patience has grown thin again so I write to you.  We are setting up
>a 2nd pc with Solaris for intel.  Install (2nd time) went ok.  Presently
>stuck in task of creating mcidas & mcadde (and any other ) user accounts.

OK.  This is a pretty easy one.  What has most likely happened is that
/home was not specified as a separate file system during your installation
of Solaris.  In this case, a /home is created which the automounter
then mounts at boot up.  If you don't plan on mounting /home from some
other system (i.e. if you intend to have /home be a local file system),
then the easiest thing to do is:

login as root
cd /etc
mv auto_master auto_master-
<get process id of automounter>
ps -eaf | grep auto
kill <process_id_of_automounter>

At this point, you can still not chmod the /home directory, but you can
rename it:

mv /home /home-

(there is nothing special about the name it is changed to).

Finally, create a new /home/ directory and set its read/write/execute
permission:

mkdir /home
chmod 775 /home

This is the same thing that had to be done on waldo back in March.
The transcript of our exchange at that time can be reviewed by:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcidas_main.html#support

Click on:

Search the Unidata McIDAS Support E-mail archives

use auto_master as the search key and you will get the March 31 email
exchange between us.

>Have used the Admin Tool feature, but at point of specifying the user's
>home directory, the little box appears with "cannot create home directory".
>The desired home directory is /home/mcidas for both of the users listed.
>
>I have searched in the online doc. but it refers to the steps in
>the Admin Tool process.  Things I have done or checked as root:
>
>1. found that /home is owned by root, with a group id of root also.
>
>   permissions of /home are dr-xr-xr-x   so I thought, it is just a
>   simple matter of chmod.
>   chmod 755  gives a message of "cannot change /home"
>
>   I thought root could do just about anything, at least this.
>

>2. snooped in the doc somemore, found that when creating new groups
>   and users, need to be a member of sysadmin group.  Checked this
>   group and found no members listed, so added root to the member list.
>   Repeated the attempts to creat home directories but same null result.
>

>3. We have looked at waldo's files for a hint but no luck.  I vaguely
>   remember getting the same message once (cannot create home directory)
>   but it did not repeat so I cannot recall the solution (if any).
>

>Well it is a nice summer day here, and I just may leave early rather than
>wait for your return.  We are seeing our first users trying MCIDASX on
>waldo, under a user guest account.
>MCIDAS seems to run fine, but I have what I think is a tuning question.

OK.

>Have used the -f flag in .mcidasrc to set no. and size (17@750x1000) for
>our frames.  The MCIDAS GUI and image window now nicely fill the screen,
>but images still only fill about 75  % of the space (the lower rt corner).
>There is a large left and top margin.  What do I do to get the image to
>fill the frame?

This is due to how the images are loaded by default.  This is controlled
by entries in the file IMAGE.DAT that will be located in the ~mcidas/data
directory after an installation.  The default load centers were set
for sessions using 480x640 frames.  If all of your users are going to
be using the larger frames, you should edit this file and change the
various load center points and magnification factors (be mindful of the
syntax of the file!).  Here is an example:

Original for GOES-East Vis image loads:

    "GOES-East Visible"         2146 2147 ?VFRMS EC " 32  82" "-2 -2" "YES H  "
9000 IMAGE.ET   X          12  X      "X       X"

Modified entry for loads matching your larger frames:

    "GOES-East Visible"         2146 2147 ?VFRMS EC " 32  82" "1 1" "YES H  "
9000 IMAGE.ET   X          12  X      "X       X"

This didn't change the load point, just the magnification.  You will want
to play around with both the load point and magnification for the various
products (e.g. East and West GOES images) and change the entries in IMAGE.DAT
accordingly.

Tom