19990701: McIDAS build problem on IRIX 6.5

>From: Zuo Dong Zheng <address@hidden>

ZuoDong,

>hi, i doing a  brand new installation of  mcidas-XCD 7.5 now and here i
>get:
>
>kingkong 65% uname -a
>IRIX kingkong 6.5 05190004 IP32
>
>kingkong 64% make
>        rm -f ./tclcomp
>        sh tclcomp.sh /usr/people/mcidas/tcl ../tcl ../tk ./tclcomp
>-vendor
>tclcomp.sh: Couldn't find Tcl configuration information
>*** Error code 1 (bu21)
>

>and runing:
>  which tclsh tell me tclsh is there in /bin/tclsh
>

>any suggestion?

First a comment.  You note that you want to do an installation of McIDAS-XCD,
but you are running 'make'.  'make' by itself builds McIDAS-X only.  If
you want to build McIDAS-XCD, you have to first make McIDAS-X and then
make McIDAS-XCD.  This can be done two different ways:

cd mcidas7.5/src
make
make xcd

or

cd mcidas7.5
make all

No back to the problem at hand.  The failure you are seeing is happening
very early in the make process.  It appears that the 'configure' step
in building the Tcl Makefile has failed.  This could happen in a couple
of different ways:

o first, if the Tcl directory is not found in its expected location
  which is the ../tcl directory relative to ~mcidas/mcidas7.5/src.

  From you output above, I am assuming that the HOME directory for
  the user 'mcidas' is /usr/people/mcidas.  Is this true?  What
  did you set McINST_ROOT to?

o second, if the 'configure' step fails, then the file ../tcl/unix/tclConfig.sh
  will not have been created.  The trapping of this situation is the only
  way that the "Couldn't find Tcl configuration information" error message
  can be produced.  Here is the code from tclcomp.sh:

# find Tcl configuration file
#
tclconf=
for i in "$tclsrc/unix/tclConfig.sh" "$tclsrc/lib/tclConfig.sh"; do
    if [ -f "$i" ]; then
        tclconf="$i"
    fi
done
if [ X"$tclconf" = X ]; then
    if [ -d "$tclsrc/unix" ]; then
        (cd "$tclsrc/unix" &&
         ./configure $shared $gcc --prefix="$tcldir" >/dev/null 2>&1)
    fi
#        ./configure $shared --prefix="$tcldir" >/dev/null 2>&1)

    tclconf=$tclsrc/unix/tclConfig.sh

    # if there's STILL no Tcl configuration file...
    #
    if [ ! -f "$tclconf" ]; then
        echo "$prog: Couldn't find Tcl configuration information" 1>&2
        exit 1
    fi
fi

  The last test is the one that fails and so produces the error message.

The question is then why did the configure step fail?  What I need to
know now is:

o what compilers you are attempting to use for building McIDAS (i.e.
  vendor-supplied or gcc/f2c)?

o Does your session have the CC environment variable defined?

o If so, what do you have it defined to?

What is the result of the following:

which cc

Tom Yoksas