19990628: problems with IMGREMAP

>From: weather <address@hidden>

Robert,

>I am having remapping images.  I created a descriptor called WXDATA
>under RTIMAGES(AREA 800-850) and did a redirect so that the
>images would be found under /export/home/weather so that when user
>remapped images, they would be written to his directory.
>
>Here are the entries as see from REDIERCT LIST and DSSERVE LIST:
>
>RTIMAGES/WXDATA          IMAGE AREA 800-850          REMAPS
>AREA08* /export/home/weather
>
>However, I get the following error when I try to remap.
>What did I do wrong?  I have done this before and have not had a
>problem.

Is the dataset going to be handled by the remote ADDE server, or will
it be a LOCAL-DATA set?  What I am thinking is that the directory into
which these data are to be written is not writable by the user running
the ADDE server.  If the server is the remote one, then this would
be a file permission problem for 'mcadde'; if it is a local one, the
problem would for the user running the McIDAS-X session.

>IMGREMAP RTIMAGES/GE-IR.1 RTIMAGES/WXDATA.1 SIZE=ALL RES=8 PRO=MERC
>Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 2874272
>IMGREMAP: transformations complete ... begin data move
>Transferring AREA data outbound, bytes= 3045776
>IMGREMAP: Error writing area directory
>IMGREMAP: Failed to write comment block

Is anything produced, or is the failure total?  If total, I suspect
a write permission problem.

Tom

>From address@hidden  Mon Jun 28 14:06:20 1999

Robert,

>It is local data on psnldm.  The user weather is running the McIDAS
>session and I am trying to write the output to /export/home/weather
>which is the home directory for the user running the McIDAS session,
>so I am confused.  There was no output written, but I don't see
>where there is a permission problem.

I took the liberty of logging onto your machine and trying a couple of
things:

cd mcidas/data
dsserve.k LIST
redirect.k LIST
imgcopy.k RTIMAGES/EDFLOATER-I RTIMAGES/WXDATA.1
Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 310176
Transferring AREA data outbound, bytes= 310256
imgcopy.k: Error writing area directory
imgcopy.k: done

The error on the imgcopy.k is the same as you reported for the IMGREMAP.
The next thing I wanted to verify was whether the RTIMAGES dataset
was going to be handled by the remote ADDE server or by 'weather':

dataloc.k LIST

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
BLIZZARD                     128.117.140.56
MYDATA                       <LOCAL-DATA>
RTGRIDS                      PSNLDM.NSBF.NASA.GOV
RTIMAGES                     PSNLDM.NSBF.NASA.GOV
RTNIDS                       PSNLDM.NSBF.NASA.GOV
RTNOWRAD                     PSNLDM.NSBF.NASA.GOV
RTPTSRC                      PSNLDM.NSBF.NASA.GOV
RTWXTEXT                     PSNLDM.NSBF.NASA.GOV
TOPO                         PSNLDM.NSBF.NASA.GOV

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done

This listing tells us that it will be handled by the remote ADDE server
which is run as the user 'mcadde'.

If I change the RTIMAGES data server to be LOCAL-DATA, a rerun of the
imgcopy.k above works:

/export/home/weather/mcidas/data% dataloc.k ADD RTIMAGES LOCAL-DATA

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
RTIMAGES                     <LOCAL-DATA>

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done
/export/home/weather/mcidas/data% !imgcopy
imgcopy.k RTIMAGES/EDFLOATER-I RTIMAGES/WXDATA.1
Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 310176
Transferring AREA data outbound, bytes= 310256
IMGCOPY: RTIMAGES/EDFLOATER-I.9 copied to RTIMAGES/WXDATA.1
imgcopy.k: done

So, the problem is a lack of write permission for the user 'mcadde' in
the home directory of 'weather'.

Tom

>From address@hidden  Mon Jun 28 16:05:41 1999

Tom,

I guess I was confused about Local-Data.  I understand now,
the machine name of this machine is not the same as Local-Data.

Sorry for the dumb question..

Robert