19990617: problem using UAPLOT(McIDAS) from Bourne shell script on Solaris x86

>From: weather <address@hidden>

Robert,

>Tom,  I meant to tack it on to the bottom.

No problem.

>Here it is a file attachment.

Got it.

>I am actually doing these as a cgi script when I noticed the problem,
>so I just made it a simple shell script with no variables being passed
>to debug it.

I don't see anything in the shell script that would cause it to not
work for 0Z data.  I ran the script (after appropriate modifications
for the $MCHOME directory and directory into which the GIF (tm) file
is written) and ran it using our 7.6 McIDAS distribution on Solaris x86.
It worked without problems producing the GIF image you can see in:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/skewt.gif

There are undoubtedly a number of differences between my setup here
and the one that you are using:

o OS:               both our and your machines should be running x86 2.7
o McIDAS version:   7.6 here; 7.5x there
o compilers:        gcc/f2c here; Sun SC5.0 (?) there
o uaplot:           the 7.6 version of uaplot allows all valid McIDAS
                    time formats (e.g. 12, 12:00, etc.)

So, I can say that there does NOT seem to be a reason why your script
should fail, but I can't easily reproduce your environment here.

I guess that what we should do is add debug output to your uaplot.k
invocation:

#!/bin/sh

# Define macros needed for McIDAS-7.X environment

MCHOME=/export/home/mcidas
MCDATA=$MCHOME/workdata
MCPATH=${MCDATA}:$MCHOME/data:$MCHOME/help
MCLOG=$MDATA/test.log

# Setup PATH so that the McIDAS-X executables can be found

PATH=$MCHOME/bin:$PATH

# Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include all directories (other than those searched
# by default) that are needed to be searched to find shared libraries.
# For this example, I assume that the shared Fortran library is located
# in /opt/SUNWspro/SC4.2/lib

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/openwin/lib:/opt/SUNWspro/SC4.2/lib:$MCHOME/lib:/usr/ucblib:/usr/lib

# Send all textual output to the bit bucket
exec 2> $MCLOG 1>&2

# Change  to the MCDATA directory
cd $MCDATA

# Now run 'mcenv' to create a McIDAS-X environment in which all of the
# scouring routines will run.
# NOTES:
#  o you need to modify the parameters in the commands to be run to
#    match your system setup.
#  o if you did not build the XCD component of the Unidata McIDAS-X
#    distribution, you should:
#      o change the 'qrtmdg.k MD' entry below to appropriate 'doqtl.k' entries
#      o comment out the 'qrtmdg.k GRID' entry below
#      o comment out the 'delwxt.k' entry
#      o comment out the 'BROADCAST.BAT' entry
#>/dev/null 1>&2
MCPATH=$MCPATH PATH=$PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH mcenv << 'EOF'
uaplot.k 72249 00 1999/06/17 CENTER=YES FORM=SKEWT PRAnge=5 1020 UNIT=MB
WIND=BARB DEV=GCC
svgif.k 1 /export/home/weather/skewt.gif
EOF

# Done

exit 0

Try running that to see what shows up in test.log.  Otherwise, I could
logon to your machine and poke around myself.  Please let me know.

Tom