19990607: Mcidas-X 7.504 (XCD) install questions (cont.)

>From: Michael Voss <address@hidden>

Mike,

>As usual, your deductions were accurate. I had the mcadde account set
>up to use the mcidas shell, but I set it to /bin/csh in my passwd file
>instead of /bin/tcsh where I have the mcidas account config.

My recommendation is that there be NO login shell for 'mcadde'
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/mcxacct.html)
The password entry for the shell in this case is /bin/false.

>But when I
>looked at the .mcenv that was created there were no '=' signs in
>there...?

Weird.  .mcenv does not get created by the build/install process.  One
has to create this file with a text editor.

>After I edited the file by hand to put them in there I was
>able to telnet to 500 without the errors you mentioned...a bit
>strange.

Very good.  I just did the telnet from here and things look right.

>I did run the BATCH LSSERVE.BAT and that seemed to get the navigation
>correct. I don't remember seeing that in the instructions...?

This is in:

Configuring the mcidas Account
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/config_mcidas.html

>Maybe
>that step should have happend for me when I did the TE XCDATA .... and
>the BATCH XCD.BAT...?

No, it is a separate step.  You will probably want to go over the Confuring
the mcidas Account stuff again.

>I do have one more question: Do I need to run the BATCH LSSERVE.BAT for
>each user.

No, this is step is for setting up the server which runs as the user
'mcadde' (which, for all practical purpuses is an alias for 'mcidas').

>It doesn't seem like I should need to, but when I just ran
>as a regular user I got the same error as before, i.e., 'Point data
>server unable to resolve this data set: RTPTSRC/UPPERMAND' (When I run
>as mcidas I do not get this error)

You have to set up DATALOCs for each user, otherwise McIDAS assumes that
the dataset(s) that they are looking for is(are) local.  For local datasets
you _do_ have to create definitions like those contained in DSSERVE.BAT.

>Does this spell a different configuration problem...?

No, not at all.  I think that you might have missed a step or two
in the configuration is all.

Tom