19990607: Mcidas-X 7.504 (XCD) install questions

>From: Michael Voss <address@hidden>

Mike,

>greetings Unidata (again),
>(BTW- thanks for the fix on tclcomp.sh)

Sorry for the screw-up to begin with.

>I am upgrading from Mcidas-X 7.1 to Mcidas-X 7.504 and I have a few
>questions. I am running this on a Sun Ultra1 (Sol 2.5.1) and doing this
>by the book as far as directory structure, etc.

OK.

>I am in the process of trouble-shooting a few problems with getting the
>XCD running (first time) properly, and I have had a few MCIDAS problems
>which might be related.
>
>1) When I do a STAT in MCIDAS it appears that things are ingesting
>fine, but the data is not going to /data3/xcd like it says in
>XCDDEC.NAM. It does not appear to be going anywhere.

Check your current REDIRECTions.  If you used the Unidata REDIRECTion
template file, EXAMPLE.NAM, to setup your REDIRECTions, then it is
possible that you have changed a REDIRECTion where you didn't expect to.

>2) another prob: When I try to plot a skewT from the menu (UAPLOT) it
>gives me the follwoing error: "UAPLOT: Point data server unable to
>resolve this data set: RTPTSRC/UPPERMAND"

This is telling us that the datasets have not been setup (or not setup
correctly) on the server side.  This is done by:

o defining the McIDAS string XCDDATA in a McIDAS session being run by
  'mcidas'.  This string contains the directory into which XCD data files
  should be read/written.

o make a copy of DSSERVE.BAT into LSSERVE.BAT and then define the data
  sets by running:

  BATCH LSSERVE.BAT

>I do have MD files from the Wisconsin data stream still coming into a
>directory called /data3/mcidas.

OK.  I am glad to see you working on getting XCD running given that the
UW stream non-image products are going away on July 1.

>My ADDE server is running.

OK, what is the machine name?  For the remainder of this email I will
assume that it is vortex.

>At this
>point I am more or less confused by my errors. I have a lot more
>questions than answers at this point and I have read all the
>documentation on the web.  Basically I need some help figuring out
>where I'm going wrong.

Since I havn't seen exactly what you have done, it is difficult for me
to pinpoint exactly where things went wrong.  I am guessing that the
problem is fairly minor, and that you are "inches" away from running.

Here is one thing that I found that you are having a problem with:
A ping to vortex on port 500 shows that you have apparently run
mcinet7.5.sh correctly and it has updated /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services.
So far, so good.  The return from this telnet, however, shows that you
have an error in your ADDE remote server setup:

telnet vortex.sjsu.edu 500
Trying 130.65.92.128...
Connected to vortex.sjsu.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
/home/mcidas/bin/mcservsh: MCDATA: not found
/home/mcidas/bin/mcservsh: MCPATH: not found
/home/mcidas/bin/mcservsh: MCGUI: not found
/home/mcidas/bin/mcservsh: MCTABLE_READ: not found
/home/mcidas/bin/mcservsh: MCTABLE_WRITE: not found
/home/mcidas/bin/mcservsh: XCD_disp_file: not found
Connection closed by foreign host.

What this is telling us is that the file .mcenv has not been created
in the home directory of the user 'mcadde' (which is also the home
directory of the user 'mcidas'), or it has errors in it, or it is
not readable by the user 'mcadde'.  This file should look like:

umask 002
MCDATA=/home/mcidas/workdata
MCPATH=${MCDATA}:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help
MCGUI=/home/mcidas/bin
MCTABLE_READ="/home/mcidas/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT"
MCTABLE_WRITE="/home/mcidas/mcidas/data/MCTABLE.TXT"
PATH=${MCGUI}:...
export MCDATA MCPATH MCGUI MCTABLE_READ MCTABLE_WRITE PATH
cd $MCDATA

IF the home directory for 'mcidas' is /home/mcidas.  Notice that there
are no spaces before or after the '=' signs.  Also notice that the
'...' in the PATH declaration must be replaced by directories relevant
to your setup.

So, as far as your ADDE server goes, you are not quite there yet.

As to why XCD decoders are not producing output data files, I will
have to know a lot more about what you have done before I can provide
any insight.  My idea about your REDIRECTions being off is the best
guess at this point.

Tom