19990602: Mcidas-X 7.504 install questions

>From: Michael Voss <address@hidden>

Mike,

>I am upgrading from Mcidas-X 7.1 to Mcidas-X 7.504 and I have a few questions.
>I am running this on a Sun Ultra1 (Sol 2.5.1) and doing this by the book as
>far as directory structure, etc.

OK.

>I have built, tested and installed the software. However when I try to run the
>GUI or any GUI started from the F-Key menu I get the following error:
>-------
>BKGRUN {raobstn.gui SKEWT 94998 12 13 99153  13 NO}
>
>ld.so.1: mcwish: fatal: libtk8.0.so: can't open file: errno=2
>
>Killed
>
>BKGRUN: Done
>-------------

This seems to be telling us that 'mcwish' was not built properly.  Try
doing the following and send the results back:

<login as user 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas7.5/src
ldd mcwish

>I went back and tested the build (i.e. from the ~mcidas/mcidas7.5/src) and got
>the same error.

Executables created in mcidas7.5/src are linked to the ~mcidas/bin directory,
so you would have been testing the exact same module.

>I don't recall any errors or anything unusual during the build. Any ideas
>where I might have gone wrong?

For some reason 'mcwish' is not able to find the shared tk library.  This
will cause all of the Tcl/Tk GUI items to fail.  Once we find this, you
should be on your way.

>thanks for your help,

One quick thought.  Try deleting and remaking mcwish.

Another thought.  You didn't happen to change your McINST_ROOT
sometime after the initial build, did you?  Perhaps the original time you
ran make, there was some sort of a problem that you then corrected by
changing this environment variable and then you continued.
This could cause the configure step in the Tcl or Tk build to have the
wrong directory indicated as the final repository for the shared tk
library.  If you did do this, you will need to remake the Tcl/Tk portion
and then remake 'mcwish':

cd ~mcidas/mcidas7.5/tcl/unix
make distclean
cd ~mcidas/mcidas7.5/tk/unix
make distclean
cd ~mcidas/mcidas7.5/src
rm tclcomp
rm mcwish
make ...

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Thu Jun  3 10:40:32 1999

re: ldd mcwish

OK...
-----
vortex:~/mcidas7.5/src>ldd mcwish
        libtk8.0.so =>   (not found)
        libtcl8.0.so =>  (not found)
        libX11.so.4 =>   /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.so.4
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
        libsocket.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
        libnsl.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
        libm.so.1 =>     /opt/SUNWspro/lib/libm.so.1
        libF77.so.3 =>   /opt/SUNWspro/lib/libF77.so.3
        libsunmath.so.1 =>       /opt/SUNWspro/lib/libsunmath.so.1
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libXext.so.0 =>  /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.so.0
        libw.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libw.so.1
        libintl.so.1 =>  /usr/lib/libintl.so.1
        libmp.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libmp.so.1

Looks like it can't find the tcl/tk shared libraries. I'll remake tcl/tk like
you mentioned below and see if that fixes my problem.
Mike