19990602: mcidas at stc

>From: alan anderson <address@hidden>

Alan,

>Re your message to me from this morning, I got a note from Clint and Mcidas
>stuff should now be coming in.  I have seen a couple of new AREA files.

Clint CCed me on his note to you.

>My concern is how to maintain our os2 machines.  I understand about the
>need to use the REDIRECT process, but have a few questions/comments.
>
>   Does waldo need to have any special software (NFS) running to let
>   our os2 machines mount its disk?

Solaris x86 comes with NFS support.  It is not a package that you have
to purchase separately.

>I recall setting up some stuff on
>   hobbes for this that was part of AIX.

The way Unix works is that you have to allow workstations to mount disks.
This is done in the /etc/dfs/dfstab file.  If there are not entries in
this file, then the NFS server will not be started automatically at
boot up.  After you add entries to /etc/dfs/dfstab, you can start the
NFS server by issuing:

/etc/init.d/nfs.server start

This will have to be done as 'root'.  Again, after the file has valid
entries, the server will be started automatically on (re)boot.

>At the very least I had to
>   set up an export file and give the ip for each machine that was
>   going to mount.  I will snoop in solaris, but would welcome your
>   comments.

The process is essentially the same.  After you allow machines to mount
certain file systems, and after the NFS server code is running, then
the machines should be able to do the mounts just like you have with
your AIX box (hobbes).

Tom