19990528: Mcidas-x Slakware 4.0

>From: Jimmy Mejia <address@hidden>

Jimmy,

>Ho are you?

Fine, and you?

>It is me again, well, we are working with mcidas-x for Linux very great,
>it is a little diferent of Mcidas from CIRA but now we are confortable
>using it. Well, the first step is finish, we have mcidas-x installed it a
>laboratory with 5 workstation running Linux (Red Hat 5.2) only for
>researchers.

Sounds like you have made a lot of progress.  I am curious; what are
the major differences that you found between CIRA's McIDAS (RAMSDIS)
and ours?

>Now, I am going to install it in the students lab, but there they have
>Linux Slackware 4.0 and I run in troubles installing mcidas in that
>workstations.

First off, why are you running two different versions of Linux?  It seems
to me that running a single version of an operating system would be easier
for you to support.  The error report below reinforces this.

>I looked in the support area of unidata and I found some information but
>it was useless for to solve my problem.
>The error that I get is this:

>compile zm.c:                   done
>./mccomp -vendor -s -o zm.k zm.o -L. -lmcidas
>mcfc -s -o zm.k zm.o -L. -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lmcidas -lf2c
>-ldl -
>lm
>link    zm.k:                   done
>./mccomp -vendor -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc -c decoder.cp
>gcc -c -O -ansi -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/X11R6/include -I. -I../netcdf/libsrc
>decode r.c decoder.c: In function `decode_block':
>decoder.c:438: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
>cast decoder.c: In function `notify':
>decoder.c:715: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
>cast decoder.c: In function `main':
>decoder.c:1220: `optarg' undeclared (first use this function)
>decoder.c:1220: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>decoder.c:1220: for each function it appears in.)
>decoder.c:1236: `optind' undeclared (first use this function)
>decoder.c:1260: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
>cast decoder.c:1265: `optopt' undeclared (first use this function)
>decoder.c:1391: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
>cast decoder.c:1468: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
>without a cast compile decoder.cp:             FAILED

>And in http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/mfs/66/4573?31#mfs
>I found some information and I applied it to decoder.cp and I got the next
>error message.

>/usr/include/math.h:407: parse error before `__copysignl'
>/usr/include/math.h:407: parse error before `__x'
>/usr/include/math.h: In function `__copysignl':
>/usr/include/math.h:409: `__x' undeclared (first use this function)
>/usr/include/math.h:409: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>/usr/include/math.h:409: for each function it appears in.)
>/usr/include/math.h:410: `__y' undeclared (first use this function)
>decoder.c: In function `decode_block':
>decoder.c:441: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
>cast decoder.c: In function `notify':
>decoder.c:725: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
>cast decoder.c: In function `main': decoder.c:1230: `optarg' undeclared
>(first use this function) decoder.c:1246: `optind' undeclared (first use
>this function) decoder.c:1270: warning: assignment makes pointer from
>integer without a cast decoder.c:1275: `optopt' undeclared (first use this
>function) decoder.c:1310: parse error before `extern'
>decoder.c:1410: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
>cast decoder.c:1487: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
>without a cast compile decoder.cp:             FAILED

All of your problems at this point relate to 'decoder.c'.  This routine
is only used on systems that are running the SSEC satellite ingest
software (direct GOES ingest; requires special hardware, a large dish,
etc.).  Since you are not running this system, the simplest thing for
you to do is to create the 'decoder' executable so your build can continue.

>I do not know what that mean :(, so, In this way I depend enterly from
>your help.

I logged onto a user's system that is running Slackware to troubleshoot
this problem, but I could not come up with a fix.  My recommendation
for you is:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas7.5/src
touch decoder
chmod +x decoder
make mcx

This should get the build going again.  Again, since 'decoder' will not be
used, having an empty executable should do no harm.

>Thank You very much.

You are welcome.

>                       Jimmy

Tom