19990512: REDIRECTions (cont.)

>From: weather <address@hidden>

Robert,

>I tried cd workdata and it still does not work.  I do have the
>"LWPATH.NAM ." and a redirect.k LIST works fine.  I tried retyping
>the command and tried to delete others to no avail.  I guess
>I have something  else messed up but I can't figure out what.

This is another one of those things that I do so often, that I really
didn't read what you sent in the first place (my fingers know what
to do, so I don't have to think about it).  Here goes with the
"correct" answer:

<login>
cd workdata
redirect.k ADD AREA901\* \"/export/home/mcidas/data

The 'REDIRECT DELETE' command deletes a _file_ of redirections, not
an individual redirection.  To change a redirection, you ADD a new
definition.

Note in the above that the '*' and '"' are both quoted (the backslash).
This is to keep the shell from interpreting the character directly.

The brute force method for changing the REDIRECTion would be to edit
~mcidas/workdata/LWPATH.NAM directly.  You would have to make sure, however,
that no other process was trying to update LWPATH.NAM when you finished
the edit.

BTW, the advice on 'cd'ing to the directory is still correct.

Tom