19990504: profiler cont.

>From: address@hidden

Alan,

>Alright, I think it is mainly a case of my failing to keep up
>with the posted changes, however, I note that you state that
>mcidas-os2 has the capability to decode the profiler.cdf file
>without the use of XCD.

Yes, but I just talked with Don, and he found out that he didn't include
the 'profiler.cmd' script in the \mcidas\code section of the 7.4 and
7.5 McIDAS-OS2 distribution.  Of course, in order for your OS/2 machines
to be decoding PROFILER.CDF into McIDAS MD files, they would have to
be fed the UW datastream.  What I do not know about your setup is
who is feeding whom (other than hobbes feeding waldo).

>I assume that it does this to create an MDXX8X file, but I don't
>see any mention of this decoding process, or how to activate it.

If the OS/2 box is being fed PROFILER.CDF, then the process is:

o RELease the U4 product in the McIDAS-OS2's routing table:

  ROUTE REL U4

o make sure that 'profiler.cmd' is located in the C:\mcidas\code directory.

That should be it.

>It is probably moot at this point, since we are close to getting
>it via the FSL2 route, but I am curious about what I missed.

What happened was that the profiler decoding was enabled in all McIDAS-OS2
distributions prior to 7.4 (I think).  With the availability of the
FSL2 feed, Don added the profiler decoding to the OS/2 XCD package and
SUSpended the U4 product in the McIDAS routing table.  Inadvertantly,
he left the 'profiler.cmd' file out of the distribution, so it is
not possible to simply RELease the U4 product to turn profiler decoding
back on.

>Also, do I need to ask Clint Rowe at UNL to add FSL2 to the list
>of feeds he will send us?

Perhaps.  If his system is setup the way we think it should be, then
he should have already allowed you to request any data feed that he
is getting.  The question now is whether or not he is getting the
FSL2 feed.

>He knows we are adding another machine,
>and has added waldo to his list, but I did not say to add any
>additional feedtypes.  Perhaps this is why waldo is not creating
>profiler stuff?

Perhaps.  What we need to do first is determine whether or not you are
getting any of the FLS2 profiler products sent to you.  If you are, we
need to trace down why they are not being decoded into McIDAS MD files.

>Thanks

I will be looking at your system a little later today, so hang in there.

Tom